LA Designs - Site Design

Thanks a lot mate :) I put a lot of time and effort into the slides but I think it was worth it! I'm quite happy with the result, although I probably will go over it again in the near future to add social media feeds and possibly a testimonial slider under the previous work section on the home page.
Just need to get it coded up now! :)

I hope you're going to add telephone or email address to that contact form... it's all very well them sending you their name and reasons but it helps if you can reply :p

Haha, yes, it will be in there don't worry. This is all really to indicate the style to the programmer, as I mentioned, content isn't quite finished yet :p But thanks for taking the time to check it all out :)

So, good news. My new site is finally live! At this stage, I realise it's a little light on the content side and I will be making some changes in the future to include more information about services and work flows, as well as a blog, of course.
For now though, I'm happy with it enough to push it live. Please feel free to give feedback, positive or negative I don't mind :)
Levi.... when do we get to see an update on yours? :p

You'll get to see mine when I get there, hopefully by the end of the year although I might get it to a 'critique' stage by birthday if I'm lucky. Work quietens down around this time of year for me so I have a little more free time :p
I'll give some proper feedback/comments on your new site after I've been out this afternoon but with a quick look over I noticed a 'typo' on the 'work' page, you started with I and the next sentence is starting with we in the first paragraph :)
I also kept wanting to click on your icons/graphic designer/web designer on the first page....

Thanks, fixed that typo! There are probably quite a few more, and I would be very grateful if people could point them out. I've probably re-written every piece of text on the site about 20 times at least!
Regarding the icons, I will be making them link to pages that give more of an explanation about the services provided - it's in the works but not for right now!

Right here we go proper eval time....I'll be gentle and you can just ignore me like usual :p
Homepage:
1st thought... lots of white space on my 1920x1080 display, maybe too much for my tastes.
I would like to have seen a larger slideshow as that is in essence a key focal point on the homepage.
Wants to click on graphic/web and icons as said
Typo - One size fits all - 'we can deliver'... actually might want to reword that, you're basically 'first person' when you say who you are but you're on about being an agency here....
About:
When on split screen (959x1050 according to browser) the 'tabs' overlay your text slightly
I'm not sure you need the 'history of your first pc'
not sure this reads well 'I find little else as exciting as introducing a client to their new brand!'
Me as a designer - 2 favourite types of work... maybe remove favourite and make it something you enjoy doing...
Me as a developer - I'd remove completely from 'completely fluent' and I'd change basic to modest or similar (it sounds better than basic). Too many ands too, needs splitting up
What keeps me busy - again, not sure you need your life story but I'm assuming you're using the 'personal' approach. Might need to expand the tennis bit, the change from tennis to cycling seems a bit forced.
My life in four paragraphs - remove anything about grades etc, this is not a good thing to have on a website, let your work speak for itself, grades mean nothing.

Work:
Tabs overlay again - needs a bit more of a margin on smaller screens
Personally I think the whole 'overlay' should be clickable
Pricing:
'here you see the minimum prices'... maybe change it to remove minimum, you've got from in each one...
Project Pricing Info - Not sure you need the first sentance, it's just repeating stuff again.
Contact form - do you want someone to send you a random email to test it?
All of site:
Did you consider a 'sticky menu' so you don't need to scroll up for the menu

Cheers for the feedback Levi, we talked over Skype about it but I'll clarify it here for
Home Page: I can't satisfy everyone's opinion with one design, but I think it looks fine on my 1900x1200 display :) Already mentioned about the icons, and I don't agree with the typo, however I concede that it could be re-worded. I did re-word a number of sections on this page based on your feedback which I did agree with, so thanks again for that.
About: I'm going for a very personal feel, I want to convey trust and personality with a hint of humour. I'm really trying to avoid positioning myself in amongst every single other designer who all seem to market themselves in an identical manner. It's all about the differentiation for me! The grades aren't there for the sake of the grades, it's about the story behind me, that got me to where I am today.
Work: Will sort out the tabs shortly. Making the whole overlay clickable is more effort than it's worth I think, as this feels more like personal opinion than absolute requirement.
Pricing: Based on a lot of feedback I have already gotten, it turns out that most people don't understand, until I point it out, that the prices are FROM and not actual prices, even with the From, top and bottom paragraphs pointing to that fact. I'm not sure how much more obvious I can make it. A lot of people were saying how cheap my prices were and I would have to point out that they were from the price stated and I've made some more changes since then so hopefully that's not so much of an issue any more. You're right though, it doesn't really need the same message in two places, so I will probably change the wording slightly, soon.
Contact Form: Thanks for the offer but it's already been tested quite thoroughly.
I did consider a sticky menu, but my site isn't massively long, so I couldn't really justify spending more time (I have spent so much time on this site....) on something I didn't feel was massively needed. If I was building it from scratch now I would probably do it though, and I may well make that change as the site develops in the near future.

Back