Junior production artist seeking insight/advice

samm_89

Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively inexperienced junior production designer looking for some insight.

I have worked for a production platform company for 3 years now. I love it here. I love the work and the people. I think I was really cut out for production design.

However....

I don't usually have enough to do at work every day.

There have been times where I was so busy my head would spin around on my shoulders. Most of the rest of the time though...I don't have enough jobs to work on. I may build an ad or two, make some edits....and then I go home.

About a year ago the marketing firm we work almost exclusively for lost a major client to a competitor, and it's never really been the same. In December we lost another big client (not as big as the first, but close).

Weirdly, I still occasionally get overtime. This is not so much because of work load but because of the disorganization of the firm we work for. (Is this ringing any bells?)

My bosses on the other hand are incredibly busy. One time my supervisor said she thinks we don't have enough people as it is....Huh?!?

To me, it seems like they are aware of how much work everyone has to do. Every pay period I report a certain number of "misc" hours, and my boss gives me a billable job number to put this "doing nothing" time on. He's never questioned me about the amount of hours (sometimes it's as many as 18 or 20 hours for a two week period!).

It's been this way for nearly 2 of the 3 years I've worked here. I've never really been properly trained on anything, either. Everything I've learned has come from being shoved into different kinds of jobs and just trying to keep up. Besides that, and the slow times, everything else seems ok. I love it here and I don't want to leave.

I'm so confused....Does any of this sound normal??

Back