It's all about sharing.

scotty

Ultimate Member
Hey all,

Don't know my arse from my elbow when it comes to web stuff (apart from designing) so I thought I'd ask you guys.

I was asked by a well known tutorials site to make an AI tutorial which I did.
I did all the steps and wanted to give the end result away free for people to use and maybe learn from but they insisted on making it only for paid subscribers which I didn't like so I never gave them it.

I was wondering about making it downloadable from my own site (FTP) but I'm not sure how to go about it.

Any tips?

You could create a new directory on your server called /downloads and put the ai file in there with a download link on your site?

You could also try looking for a plugin for wordpress that creates a download section?

Oh sweet mate! :D

Cheers for that. I'll do a bit of a search for a WP plug-in as that sounds easiest.

As Jordan said, but personally, if I was in your situation, I would update your tutorial so that it's not a replica of what's already available and get people to pay with a tweet or fb like or something.

So essentially your proposition is that they can either go download the old version, wherever it is currently hosted, or they can get this new one, that's not available anywhere else, straight from your site if they pay with a tweet/like which contains new characters/something else that adds value. That way you will spread your social reach much, much further than just plonking your old tut up on your site.

And don't worry, there's a plug-in for that ;)

Ahh, right.

I came across that yesterday when I downloaded a free font.

I never released the tut as I didn't agree with it just going to "premium users" as I just wanted it to be free for all.
I like the idea of paying with a tweet as it's more inline with karma vipaka.

I'll look into that Sean. Cheers! :D

Back