• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Is it a dumb question?

This may seem a bit of a dumb question, but would like to ask the webby's what they think is the best CMS system to master.

I have been in print for a long, long time and am seeing my opportunities dwindle by the day for newer projects. As another thread has already mentioned, agencies are looking for all-singing, all-dancing designers who can do it all these days, print, web, PHP, MySQL, Flash, Actionscript, you name it they want it.

Well the good news is that I am picking up HTML and CSS and use this method for any web work these days, I also know a little bit of flash, simple animations etc, but not any actionscript (especially actionscript 3) so these are skills that I can add to my existing skill base of design for print, illustration and photo retouching.

The next step is to pick up on CMS, I have had a look at Joomla, but found it a bit confusing (I need to learn PHP and MySQL) I got to the stage of installing MAMP and configuring my computer as a localhost, but then I got a little bit lost, especially when I logged into the admin control panel of Joomla.

So what do the experts think? Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, In Context Editing (Dreamweaver CS4) or a tailored method, such as Light CMS (where you can get a free service for 3 pages, 20 quid a month for up to ten pages).

Thanks

tbwcf

I would say take a look at wordpress, its pretty easy to pick up, free and easy for your clients to use! I looked at joomla too but just got a headache!

Wordpress tends to be the norm amongst designers moving into the web

C

chrismitchell

I completely agree with the use of Wordpress.. It is the best one to learn from scratch :) then if you're feeling like you want to learn more, go towards Expression Engine :)

Funny you should mention Wordpress and Expression Engine. I have just been looking at other forums elsewhere and these are two crop up again and again. Thank goodness the consensus doesn't appear to be Joomla!

C

chrismitchell

No.. Joomla is not very good at all... its not well supported from a community point of view.

Hi Gary,

It's not a dumb question at all.

I think it depends on the scale of the project, but for smaller sites I'd recommend Wordpress. It's very simple to use both from a developers and a clients point of view, has a very large community behind it and on top of that it's free.

Thanks,
Soren

br3n

Im not very clued up at all with reguards to any form of code/cms but I stumbled accross this guys portfolio from another site, I know he does a lot with word press and I think he may have even writen some tutorials. Great work so worth a click reguardless.

Paul Burgess: Brighton web designer

I just made the move from static sites to wordpress sites and im loving it. I have been using a shopping cart plugin for mine but for a simple CMS there are plug-ins that make it quite a powerful cms.

Another thing i found regarding wordpress is that there is a plug-in to make it do just about anything. Its amazingly good!