Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IP restriction and blocking...?

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by YesYouMay, Jan 19, 2010.

1. YesYouMay

YesYouMay Junior Member

1. I have an .htaccess file. Do I edit it and upload it via the FTP? How do I go about adding a code to only allow my IP address to view site?

2. What steps do I need to take to upload,make it work etc; once I have added the code?

3. How do I make a backup/copy of the .htaccess file?

2. Ant

Ant Member

Well, there is an easy way of doing it in PHP. I'm at school right now so not much info on this. But make a .php file and place this in it.

Code:
    <?php$ip = 'youriphere';$check = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];if ($check == $ip) {//do whatever here} else {//show error here}?>
    Save this as checkIP.php and upload to ftp.

Now make an index.php and place..
    Code:
    <?php include('checkIP.php'); ?> 

3. openmind

openmind Senior Member

And if you need to find out your IP, go here: www.whatsmyip.org

Be careful though as most ISPs assign dynamic IPs so yours could change in the future unless you buy a fixed IP address from them.

4. mike_watts

mike_watts Member

I upload a file called htaccess.text then change it to .htaccess when on the server then edit it directly on the server with textmate or something.

In the file you put

# Allow only you to access
    order deny, allow
    deny from all
    allow from [IP Address]

5. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

:clap: pointless exercise TBH yesyoumay.

Instead create something like this ~

<?php if(isset($_POST['animal'])){
    if($_POST['animal']=="thisisyourusernamechangeittowhateveryouwant" || $_POST['pass']=="thisisyourusernamechangeittowhateveryouwant"){
    session_start();
    $_SESSION['cat']="Do you know this cat is in fact a monkey?";
    header('Location: http://example/test/');
    }}else{?>

<html>
    <head>
    <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <form action="" method="post">
    <p>
    <input type="text" name="animal" />
    </p>
    <p>
    <input type="password" name="pass" />
    </p>
    <p>
    <button type="submit">Enter</button>
    </p>
    </form>
    </head>
    </body>

<?php }?>

Then add this to all text pages preferably in a a php include before any html ~
    <?php
    session_start();
    if(!isset($_SESSION['cat']) && $_SESSION['cat']!=="Do you know this cat is in fact a monkey?"){
    header('Location: http://example.com/');
    }?>

That way you've got a constant login form to a secure testing area with basic security. :)

If you get an errors as i just wrote that off the cuff let me know and I'll run it locally and fix them.

Jaz

6. Ant

Ant Member

Yeah was going to say you may aswell just get a login form or something.
    Imagen if you were staying away for a while with your laptop yet still wanted to go to your site, eh?
    Screwed over then ain't ya :p

This is one of my friends websites. He has a login script etc. Could take a look at that, a lil more advanced than Jaz's obviously. (No intention to say your code won't work or anything, just incase he wanted to take a look, sorry, haha).
    http://graphixbase.com/downloads.php

7. Jazajay

Jazajay Active Member

Please not the above login script should only be used to secure basic data as it took me about 40seconds to write, I spent well over a day writing one for a CMS recently by far one of the best pieces of code I ever written.

Should have made that more clear so thanks for the reminder Ant. :)