Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Interviewing Madness

Discussion in 'Design Jobs & Employment Forum:' started by hankscorpio, Aug 26, 2014.

1. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

As I often do, I attended an interview for a company. I only ever put my CVs to the top printing companies in the country - well why not? Might as well work for the biggest and the best and get some more money right?

Anyway - I went to an interview today and I was going through my work and my experience and all my life story and it was all going well until that bombshell of a line was delivered

"You're over qualified"

I'm getting that a lot lately, every job I apply for and every position. But this time I got to the interview stage before hearing it.

Surely, looking at my CV they'd know I was over qualified before calling me.

Why did they bother interviewing me?

Basically what I've decided is a new strategy from now - just end the interview if they say
    • You're over qualified
    • or if the salary is far too low to even consider

Any of you guys ever ended your interview?
  2. Moominbaby

Moominbaby Member

Yes several times, don't waste your time with people like this. I sound totally harsh l:-/ but its true...

I am just upfront with everything before hand now and say over the phone...what exactly is involved in the role and what is you salary range? But maybe thats years of freelancing. I just think companies should stop pretending that you go to work for the pure love of it... I love my job but I'm not going to do it for free...and besides which, interviews are expensive, travel, time faff etc...

Anyway good luck :) and remember your interviewing them! so feel free to end the interview its your time...
  3. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

Well in this case the money was good. So I just sidestepped the questions and pretended I wasn't bothered I was overqualified.

As it transpired, the person interviewing me was the "creative director" and was working there a year. I'm pretty sure they figured out I knew more than they did and just said I was overqualified. Shortly after they said that the other person interviewing asked them to leave, and was very impressed.

Asked about notice and salary and all that - which doesn't normally happen in 1st interview.