Interesting Article

because drawing is an creative subject and nobody have this creativity that is why very less students taking on art and design.

Could be any number of reasons, one of which could be parental influence encouraging their children to get a 'real degree' with transferable skills. It's hard to make a career in creative industries, especially performing arts. Not many people will make it as a dancer or actor or artist, and I suspect many are discouraged from doing what they're good at because it's not seen as a way to earn a steady income. When I was 20 I left my cushy CAD job and did a film course because I knew I wanted to do something creative with my life. My parents couldn't understand why I was willing to leave a well-paying career to do something they assumed was just a bit of fun.

Government shunning creative skills is probably another reason. I suspect this is why UX design is becoming more prevalent because it's seen more as a science than an art. You can point out to people where things are wrong with proven results from workshops and analysis. Tell someone why X font is a bad choice though and they assume that's like, just your opinion, man.

But you don't need a degree to do well in art and design anyway so save yourself £30k and just do it anyway.

Apart from some expensive design books and mag's there wasn't another option to learn about design a few years back (okay, more than a few).

Now the internet is brimming with learning resources.
My kids are starting to show an interest in arty-farty, design stuff and I can't say I'd suggest they do a degree.
I'd be lying if I said it wasn't anything to do with the money.

In my day I had a grant. Yes, they paid ME! o_O
HA-HA! (cough) HA-HA!

My niece did a degree in Fashion Graphic Design and it must have cost a fortune especially considering living expenses as she had to move to another city.

Part of the course was to do an internship.
Hers was in London and unpaid for six months at a large fashion house.
She ended up being the P.A. to the boss and it hadn't really anything to do with design.
The rent on a tiny studio apartment was £750 a month alone.
What did she learn about design verses the cost of the internship?

On the last year of my course we had to do "work placements".
These were 3-4 days a week over the year.
Not one had anything to do with design.
1. A screen Printer
2. A print finisher.
3. A Promotional Model Maker (sticking transfers on to model vans).
I considered it to be a TOTAL waste of my time.

Yes I did learn a lot on my course but I also taught myself way more.
It did make me focus on learning and completing projects on time in a way that I wouldn't have otherwise.

Would I have paid 30k to do it?

NO WUCKIN FAY!

I'd have kicked the doors in and demanded my money back!

My niece did a degree in Fashion Graphic Design and it must have cost a fortune especially considering living expenses as she had to move to another city.

Part of the course was to do an internship.
Hers was in London and unpaid for six months at a large fashion house.
She ended up being the P.A. to the boss and it hadn't really anything to do with design.
The rent on a tiny studio apartment was £750 a month alone.
What did she learn about design verses the cost of the internship?

The fashion industry is notorious for taking the piss with internships. I'm sure it's a legal requirement that an intern should be doing something related to their course or education for the majority of their time either, otherwise it's basically unpaid labour. London prices are a joke too, an ex-girlfriend paying close to that for a room in a shared student house. There were 5 other girls there I think, each paying the same. Wish I the teh money to buy to let down south.

simple... it's the current mentality that seems to hit 'creative' jobs - why pay for a course teaching you the important stuff about design when 'anybody with a copy of photoshop' can do design these days... Unfortunately it's the sad state the design industry at the moment where basically anyone thinks they can do it if they own the software and as such thinks those of us who are fully qualified and trained to do this should do the design work they couldn't manage with the software they picked up for free instead....

Back