Inspirational Logo for an Inspirational Blog

Yeah I think I'm going to have to work on the design and other aspects of it to make it look like an awesome blog you're right there. Might use my student discount and invest in Photoshop. I would like to expand my audience true. I've seen many good looking blogs created on the blogger platform so I'll do a little digging around :)

Beware using a student edition of any Adobe product as I believe the UK student licenses are not for commercial use.

So yes, technically speaking (if this is the case, which I believe it is - please correct me if I'm wrong) you would be in no better legal position than someone who pirated the software and then used it for commercial purposes. Stupid isn't, it.

unless you're specifically doing something relating to photshop you could get away with the completely free alternatives like like gimp (or gimpshop) or paint.net should be fine for most things for a website

I imagine that they would probably (I don't know for certain) limit the license of a trial version as that would lead to endless amounts of loopholes on the rare occasion that they do decide to go to court over piracy or anything related.

I'm not saying that you should use a cracked copy but what you could do is get one based on the premise that by doing so it would earn you enough money to go and buy a licensed copy, which you wouldn't be able to do otherwise without getting a small loan or something. (High risk much?)

I don't personally believe it's fair to expect students or new freelancers to be able to just throw £600 at a new piece of software in a market that is so incredibly monopolised that there isn't really any other professional alternative. (Yeah, you're gonna walk into that interview with GIMP on your CV?) Yes, you could use one of the free alternatives but who really wants to waste time learning multiple software packages that do exactly the same thing.

It's probably not a conversation best suited for here, however, I believe there are certainly two sides to the argument. But as Levi says, if it's only small scale, simple website graphics that you're going to be doing then it probably would be best to stick with free software.

Squiddy said:
(Yeah, you're gonna walk into that interview with GIMP on your CV?)

If I had someone come into an interview and have gimp on their cv I would be giving them a job right then and there... seriously if you're prepared to admit that then you need a job badly :p
But can you imagine how much your business could save if everyone worked with free software... most of which can do 90% of what the industry standard software can do, it would be a LOT :D

Besides GIMPshop has a photoshop 'inspired' ui :)

Levi said:
If I had someone come into an interview and have gimp on their cv I would be giving them a job right then and there...

I guess that's why you wrote 'if I had' instead of 'when I have' ;)

I believe a lot of people see and treat photoshop knowledge as a badge to distinguish professionals from the amateurs. It's a shame but it's just something we'll have to put up with until the graphic design software market diversifies. I personally can't wait for this to happen because it means that Adobe will be forced to charge more reasonable prices for their software, amongst many other benefits for the consumer.

Businesses would definitely save a lot of money, but I find it hard to believe that a free alternative to a £600 piece of software from the current market leader would be anywhere near as polished or extensive in capabilities. There must be quite a few downsides to using GIMP over PS.

Yes Photoshop has extra features over gimp but just think how often you use all these new features.... can't say I would use half the new features in photoshop with my type of work....

Yeah, I agree with you that in a lot of cases you could probably get away with only using GIMP, I just think that as soon as you wanted to start doing advanced things with it then it'd become much less useful and you'd probably have to go back to PS.

I thought you mainly did 3D/CAD work, so what do you do mainly?

I have to do post processing and compositing etc on renders, it's not all done in the 3d programs :)

Hi if you're looking for designers, we have a designers gallery on Facebook.. It may be worth posting it on there as some of our designers may be interested!
facebook.com/printedcom

Back