Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inspiration for new studio layout

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by Ross mccluskey, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Ross mccluskey

Ross mccluskey New Member

I have recently been offered a new position within a company who is creating a design department.

Previously all design was outsourced to a freelance designer and the company has now decided to bring in-house. The office is open plan and I have tasked with making my space look more creative.

I have never worked within an agency environment and have always worked as part of an in-house team with an open plan office.

I have started working on research using pinterest mostly for inspiration. So far I have thought of having a large decal on the wall, either a really nice inspirational image, typographic quote or illustration.

It would be good to hear everyones feedback on how I could achieve this mini-agency look just around one desk basically?

2. PriyeshDesign

PriyeshDesign Member

The way you setup your workspace will express your personality and interests.

Keep it simple!
  3. Ross mccluskey

It's not even my workspace as such, more about making more of a design studio environment rather than a boring office with plain walls etc
  4. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

A vinyl graphic (or even a painted mural if you budget/lease allows it) will instantly spice up a space. You can't go wrong with the classic Ikea shelves with some design books and the odd nik-nak.

Get some shelving and the space will create itself.
  5. Ross mccluskey

I was thinking of that Paul, just not sure what to have a mural of. I'm thinking a really bright wall with a typographic quote, that way it won't date.

The owner is basically wanting the business to revolve around the design department, he even asked me if i'd like a slanted desk to make it look more 'designy' haha obviously I refused!
  6. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

ikea shelves and a massive box of lego. job done
  7. Paul Murray

I got one of these for £5 from Home Bargains the other week. Looks nice on my shelves.
  8. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

That is class! I'd want a massive one just to put in the corner of the room or something.
  9. Paul Murray

I have a massive green dice taking up the corner of my room.
  10. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

I visited a local studio a few months ago who've had their meeting room lego'd.. By that I mean, the walls are either lego bricks or lego vinyl.

oh, and the office space was full of lego, with staff being encouraged to 'build' during the working day.
  11. Type is a great idea. Doesn't even have to be a quote. Type and letters alone can just make great designs for a mural or vinyl. Play around with sizes and shapes, different typefaces… could be very cool.