• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Inspiration for advertising concepts?

So now that I'm working as a designer permanently again and settled in my new job :icon_cheers:...this leads me to a new challenge: coming up with advertising concepts. Any suggestions, magazines, websites and resources? Brainstorming exercises you do? I've designed ads before but coming up with the ideas behind them is something I haven't done a lot of.

:icon_eek:

All help appreciated, I think in particular having a U.K. perspective is most helpful. I know Creative Review and Computer Arts are common magazines here for designers -- how about advertising?

bigdave

Staff member
How much are your clients being charged for adverts? If its low budget small business advertising (the kind you'd find in the phone book or free press) then I don't think you're employers will appreciate you spending 2 or 3 days researching and developing concepts, so a quick google to see what their competitors are doing will suffice.

If its high end advertising with big budgets, spend some time with the client to get a feel from them as to what they're looking for from the advert.

As for places to find inspiration, Researching the company you're designing for and their products is a good way to get into their mindset. I try and become as much of a geek about their industry as possible. I find books on design are a great way to jump start my own creativity, especially older editions of D&AD annuals etc..

printbar

How much are your clients being charged for adverts? If its low budget small business advertising (the kind you'd find in the phone book or free press) then I don't think you're employers will appreciate you spending 2 or 3 days researching and developing concepts, so a quick google to see what their competitors are doing will suffice.

If its high end advertising with big budgets, spend some time with the client to get a feel from them as to what they're looking for from the advert.

As for places to find inspiration, Researching the company you're designing for and their products is a good way to get into their mindset. I try and become as much of a geek about their industry as possible. I find books on design are a great way to jump start my own creativity, especially older editions of D&AD annuals etc..
If and when I get to the stage that I need a creative team I just want any other printers on GDF to know that I've got dibs on Dave!
:icon_cheers:

Katedesign

"Looking Sideways" is great... but also playing with words and puns, associations, mind maps etc.
Doodling, NOT thinking about it... music...brainstorming...themes of the season (summer holidays, beaches, barbeques etc)...