IE6 obselete?

sorry... basically i meant i was gonna put a message up saying "AAHHH CHANGE TO A NEW BROWSER NOW B*TCHES!" but then I thought most people just wouldn't want to upgrade, and then I remembered that most users view the site at work, and that has the old server with IE6 on, so therefore the message would be contradicted.

:D everything makes more sense in my mind... only in my mind it seems!

Generally, it is corporates or people who know nothing about computers that are still on IE6.

The only solution that I can see is to wait for their computers to blow up, fail, no longer perform. They'll get a new computer which will likely have IE7 installed by default. How long that will take though - no idea.

Where I work we still use IE6 (heck you have to beg to get things like firefox installed even if you work in the web team...) and even when we get new computers they still install IE6 on them. :S

I don't think IE6 is as bad as most people make out really. Most of the issues can be avoided by coding properly and sensibly from the start, and most if not all bugs are well documented and can be fixed. IE6 doesn't really spring any surprises any more. At work we still support IE6 as standard and it's not too difficult to code round.
That said, I have made sure people can access my site in IE6 but that's about it. I've not really looked but I know it ain't pretty, but the info can still be got at. But that is a personal site, and stats show that pouring time into IE6 dev would be a little pointless.

I think that it will still be around for quite some time as well. The people who didn't upgrade to IE7 instantly aren't likely to upgrade to IE8 in a rush.

What I have never understood is why didn't Microsoft just keep the interface the same, thus no fear of learning something new which reduces productivity in the short term, and just auto update to IE7, that way it looks the same but the underlying problem, being lack of RSS, JS and CSS support all go away over night??? :confused:

That is something that I have never understood TBH.
But I would say Tim if you are going to offer a message upgrade to the latest version of IE, that way there is less of a learning curve for the ones that do, and IE6 is deleted off their comp. If they upgrade to say Firefox and they don't like it because of the different interface, they could still go back to IE6 and thus you still have the same problem IMO.

Jaz

Back