Idea needed

Conco

I work for a non-profit organisation and have been tasked with coming up with a logo for our forthcoming conference. The theme is: "Your potential. Our priority." The "your" refers to a school community (teachers, students, parents, etc). We want a simple but striking logo. I've tried using images of light bulbs, magnifying glasses, trees, even a Newton's cradle with an apple to represent schools, but they just don't hit the mark. I was just after some ideas from this forum. I'm not a commercial designer by any means, but have some Photoshop experience. Thanks

Well first port of call - don't design a logo in Photoshop. You should be using a vector programme, like Illustrator.

Affinity Design is good and a bit cheaper.
Inkscape is completely free.

You can get a free months trial here and do a course like these

The "your" refers to a school community (teachers, students, parents, etc).

Sounds like you could do an outline drawing of the schoo, with teachers, students, parents in the logo as basic elements.

Like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=sch...bPgAhVs16YKHSxvB4MQ_AUIDigB&biw=1678&bih=1039

Hope that helps.

This is not really a suggestion of an idea, more of a what to avoid.

Try to keep in mind the K.I.S.S rule and keep it simple.

I see SO MANY logos for education, organisations, charities, projects that just try to shoe horn everything and every message into a logo.
They then become confusing and over complex and lose any kind of message that was intended especially if too many people want their input included.
Avoid the Design By Committee trap.

As Hank says: You need a vector app and not Photoshop.

Well first port of call - don't design a logo in Photoshop. You should be using a vector programme, like Illustrator.

Affinity Design is good and a bit cheaper.
Inkscape is completely free.

You can get a free months trial here and do a course like these

Sounds like you could do an outline drawing of the schoo, with teachers, students, parents in the logo as basic elements.

Like this: https://www.google.com/search?q=sch...bPgAhVs16YKHSxvB4MQ_AUIDigB&biw=1678&bih=1039

Hope that helps.
Thanks, Hank :)

This is not really a suggestion of an idea, more of a what to avoid.

Try to keep in mind the K.I.S.S rule and keep it simple.

I see SO MANY logos for education, organisations, charities, projects that just try to shoe horn everything and every message into a logo.
They then become confusing and over complex and lose any kind of message that was intended especially if too many people want their input included.
Avoid the Design By Committee trap.

As Hank says: You need a vector app and not Photoshop.
Thanks, Scotty

I’d just add, avoid all visual clichés. Always dismiss your first thought and dig deeper – unless you have had the eureka moment as your first though, of course.

Back