HTML5 - Slow?

Alex L

Hi, I'm a student studying Computing. In one of our modules, by the end of the year, we will have to make a functioning website for a website flight booking system. In our analysis of existing sites we were slated for not being technical enough, so in our "bid" for the system, I went out of my way to be technical, talking about SQL injection, HTML5, CSS3, cross brower compatibly ect.

My lecturer complained that html5 was slow. Is this really true? I mean there are some things I've found which must be less resource intensive, such as <input placeholder="" /> which I'm pretty sure must be better than a javascript string?

Anyway, what are your thoughts?

HTML5 is not 'slow' however you do need JS to make it work in IE. Use a HTML5 DOCTYPE but avoid using the structural elements, thus avoiding the need to JS.

Well if you do you need to use some JS, which therefore means that there's added weight from that (albeit very slight) and your sites won't work with JS disabled.

Ah okay, cheers for the tip, I'll stick with a div if it's needed then. By the way, congrats on becoming part of the expert panel and your footer copyright is 2010 ;)

If your working with Wordpress ther is a plugin for this , deals with HTML 5, go to plugins on the site and off u go

Back