How much would you charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
renniks said:
Berry, what if he's printing off more than one tshirt per design, where the costs of the tshirt is the only thing that doesnt get cheaper the more he does stuff.

Which increases the ammount he can pay for each design.

That's what I was thinking, where did we come to the conclusion of 1 per design?

also why the hell does he want 50 designs? surely 10 would be enough for a set of charity t-shirts

also if its one per design does that mean they're all gonna be one size?

I assume the question is each design unique, which mohammad didnt answer, led Berry to assume each one was?

But anyway, that's all irrelevant, they have agreed on £150, which isn't good value for mohammad as its £3 a design. BUT in the situation, it is a fair price to agree on, as it is experience, portfolio work, charity work.

You said you were designing 50 ( which I assume is 50 different designs)

OK, You say 30 minutes tops, I still say it will you 2 hours each ( that's based on 35 years in this industry) You take the brief, you find the font, you play with the typography, you get approval, you check your ink saturations, convert to CMYK and do some colour corrections. Then you create each jpeg as pdf or tiff or whatever file format the t-shirt printer wants. You supply an individual laser copy to make sure the printer doesn't print your Grandmas birthday pixs. You instruct the printer or the client where on the T-shirt the image goes- it could be placed in the middle, which means if it's a large it could be protruding just above the waistbelt. You burn 50 indivual CDs and artwork. And you still have enough time to boil an egg in your 30 minutes?

Can I live in your world, cause my working environment oesn't run as nice as yours!

If you can do these in 30 minutes to an acceptable standard, show me the resuts, show me a profit and send me C.V. cause I may have an opening for someone like you.

I'm with Berry on this one. If it is one design to be printed 50 times at £10per shirt that means £500. If you get them screened (1-2 colours) it is possible to bring the cost down under £4. So that is £6 per shirt profit. Following the numbers? £300 profit. £150 for you for 1 (just one design is fair enough).

But if you are talking 50 separate designs, dear sweet jesus!

I have more questions!
How many units per design?
How will the designs be printed?
If screened how many colours?
What quality of shirts are we talking? FOTL? Hanes? Gildan? AA? Just going into 'insert value retailer here' and buying lots of shirts?

If it is for a charity, then that can change everything, dependent on how you feel about the charity.

There are so many factors. But to opennly admit how much I charge for something like this.

Basic text design, I would charge and have charge my closest friends £75 for one design. If it was a complete stranger I wouldn't entertain going below £150.

Something complicated, lets talk £200. I know shirt designers who wont even pic up a pencil until you've paid them a 'dead payment' of £200!

I'm in complete agreement with both Mike and Berry on this one.. seems like you're being ripped off on the deal personally... he's asking for "mates rates" which is always bad in my opinion as you end up going through hell just to sort it all out.. what you think will only take 30 minutes per T-shirt will take more likely an entire day to sort out, as he will want to change little things each time..

be prepared to not sleep... also the fact that he "might not" pay you makes me even more worried!

chrismitchell said:
I'm in complete agreement with both Mike and Berry on this one.. seems like you're being ripped off on the deal personally... he's asking for "mates rates" which is always bad in my opinion as you end up going through hell just to sort it all out.. what you think will only take 30 minutes per T-shirt will take more likely an entire day to sort out, as he will want to change little things each time..

be prepared to not sleep... also the fact that he "might not" pay you makes me even more worried!

I agree in terms of your average joe designer being approached on a professional level.

But in the case of a 13 year old, with minimal experience...

You'd have to clean a lot of cars for £150 :)

this is true charles, but I prefer to err on the side of caution :)

I forgot to update this thread, The client paid me the £150.. Thread closed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back