• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How much extra to charge for emergency/express project

elf

Someone asked me to do a project of leaflet, which they needed for 'a week ago'. Basically it means I had to do this stressful kind of emergency work that required me working long hours after 10 pm to meet the deadline.

I was advised to charge extra for 'my stress', but I don't know how much more I should charge to be fair with my client and with myself.

Any ideas/advice appreciated

hankscorpio

Staff member
Well it's normal price + an extra 50%

I'm not going into my pricing structure.

But if it's £100 then it's £150 for a rush job.

Or £200 then it's £300 for a rush job.

They either really need it or they don't really need it.

It would be up to them to take the rush off it and do it as a normal job.

hankscorpio

Staff member
I also ask them to contact other agencies for prices, as I know I don't overcharge for my services and I'm a lot cheaper than other agencies.

But I know they can't get a better price than what I offer.

Either they want it a rush job or they don't. Or they can somewhere else and get it done at an added expense.

elf

I also ask them to contact other agencies for prices, as I know I don't overcharge for my services and I'm a lot cheaper than other agencies.

But I know they can't get a better price than what I offer.

Either they want it a rush job or they don't. Or they can somewhere else and get it done at an added expense.
It sounds like good strategy. Thank you!

Depends on the client but an additional 50% is quite common. You could also have an "out-of-hours" cost per hour which would cover your invested time.

Dave L

This is something I could be better at as it's entirely reasonable to charge a premium for fast turnaround. My current approach is fine so far as it goes and I usually secure the work: basically, I'm honest with the client about what I'm able to do in terms of delivery - if I can do it straightaway, I will; if not, I'll tell them when I have a window. In my experience, it usually turns out things aren't quite as urgent as people would have you believe anyway...