Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Important Is Proof?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by Tim Timbo Bullock, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Tim Timbo Bullock

Tim Timbo Bullock New Member

Quick one here.

How important are testimonials? Furthermore, what are the advantaged of both testimonials and listing clients?

2. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

In what sense? On a CV, a website or printed materials?

3. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Testimonials can be powerful, so long as they're genuine and well-written. Think of them like a product review, you'd want to buy something people are talking about with praise. The person giving the review counts too. Some random client from a company nobody knows will do the job, but someone from a recognised brand or organisation can do wonders. Think of it like a celebrity endorsement (do people actually believe those???).

Listing clients (on websites for example) is supposed to do the same as a testimonial but in a faster, more visual way. It's like a 'strength-in-numbers thing – "If this designer/studio can handle work for these companies, then surely they won't mess up mine?"

You could also argue that they are there to instantly give a potential client an idea of your rates or experience level – "Oh, this guy did work for Coca Cola, he must be good" or "Ooh, she's worked with American Airlines, she probably charges a lot."

I added some client logos to my own portfolio some time back. Why, I don't know, mainly because there was a space in my WP theme for it, but also because, well, that's what people do nowadays…