How Far Do You Travel?

T

Tony Hardy

Picture this scenario;
A prospective client emails you and asks to meet for a coffee. They want to talk about a web design job they potentially want you to take charge of.

How far are you willing to travel to discuss potential work? What's the furthest you've travelled to secure a job?

Depending on the size of the client and the potential for securing the job, i would think 30 miles, considering I'm reliant on public transport for the most part.

si_p said:
Depending on the size of the client and the potential for securing the job, i would think 30 miles, considering I'm reliant on public transport for the most part.
Absolutely. It’s fairly logical that the distance travelled will depend on variables such as, value of the job, interest in the project, desperation etc. A handy scatter graph would give the answer.

It's fairly similar to free pitching if the client is wanting to hear all your thoughts on the matter and comparing you with others...and I think I'm against free pitching?

I've been to London a few times to meet with clients. For instance, I got talking with a director/producer in December that needed some footage editing together to be part of an investment pitch for a film he wanted to make. He invited me down to Elstree Film Studios for the day to work with him, and I've been in touch with him ever since. He's even tried to send more work my way, so it was worth it.

Well I would travel as far as I can in a day there and back if the job was worth it, I'd want an early afternoon meeting ideally, if it was worth thousands then it would be a no brainer but if it was worth a couple of hundred then I'd likely spend nearly as much getting there as the job is worth.

Levi said:
Well I would travel as far as I can in a day there and back if the job was worth it, I'd want an early afternoon meeting ideally, if it was worth thousands then it would be a no brainer but if it was worth a couple of hundred then I'd likely spend nearly as much getting there as the job is worth.
But would you go all that way, without the job being guaranteed?

Like I said it depends. I'd try and get as much info over the phone/via email first and then decide whether it's a 'worthwhile' trip, sometimes showing your face can do more for 'you' than any quote or telephone conversation can.

Back