How do i get noticed?

tim said:
no one giving the guy any credit?

when you started the college or job thread, the general consensus was, you are young, enjoy being young while you are, whatever your decision.

and in Tom's case, he want to get into illustration. trust me, if he went to dbh, emptees, threadless, they would eat him alive! we are friendly, and willing to point people in the right directions, and my advice considering what he said was take your time keep working and try and find your oewn style.

If anyone shows up on the tdesign sites, with a style too similar to insert name here, the general response is cold, harsh and unwelcoming. and you know what? i wouldn't wish that on anyone! so my advice is, avoid it for now!

positive advice then? check out:

wotto
greg abbott
ray freden
jimmy heartcore
jimmyo
any of the black axe crew
daniel mumford
heavy prints
rustyeight
god machine
collision theory
mathoile
brandon heart
cryface
nicole nimor
alex norman
rob dobi
glennz
flying mouse 365

i can carry on if you want...

TomLuddington said:
How about you give me a design to do for fun :D?

Just create stuffs (very vague I know). Seen something local, a poster/event, shop signage, logos that you think you could improve or have another idea for? Create it. not necessarily to actually pitch it to a client, but to improve the problem solving skills.

Make up a fictional company, produce a whole media pack/designs for them or for your favourite company/band.

Berry also posted this great little brief
http://www.designforums.co.uk/runni...ncing/1802-free-work-portfolio.html#post17582

The possibilities are endless

A few more random design briefs:
http://www.graphicdesignblog.co.uk/sample-design-brief-for-students-new-battery-brand-and-pack/
http://www.starpack.uk.com/students/briefs.htm

Well its in my signature now :)

- Glen on your website you have a recent news section how do you make all the text scoll down automatically?

:)

I'm all for anyone starting young, the sooner the better.
But what I think is perilous for any prospective young wannabe designer is the this whole need to find some 'clients' and earn money.
This all comes down to the fact that young bucks ( and I won't call you all designers, because you are not, you don't know the first thing about design and are not either qualified or experienced to EARN that title ) think that design is about imagery, and that anyone with software and a computer can call themselves a designer. The simple fact is many are not good enough yet to earn that title or produce work for real clients. Just because i can change a plug doesn't mean i can rewire someones house or be tell people I'm an electrician. Because there is no standard assesment to monitor quality of design then the market is flooded with wannabe's.
If there was a written test on design, typography, print processes, history, etc how many would pass? How many can tell the difference between Baskerville and Caslon? or the history of Times?
So, learning is great, but don't go searching for clients till you can understand what your doing, why your doing. Every young buck with software and no knowledge devalues the business and it's reputation. Be a student of design first, and you may earn others respects.

Berry said:
How many can tell the difference between Baskerville and Caslon?

caslon is heavier and has different serifs!!!! also the caps q is very different.

I knewded sumthink!

but learning comes from that experience.

yes we arent perfect, but just because we're young doesnt mean we're ****e.

****e has nothing to do with it, even experienced designers produce ****e work.
It's lack of knowledge and a presumtiousness that anyone can be a designer that i have an arguement with. Everybodies in a hurry, wants a quick fix and instant results and clients etc, without putting in the groundwork and understanding that is fundemental to producing great work.

everybody?

screw that, i may not be "experienced", but i looked at ways of coding and getting my way around photoshop in all of my spare time for 2 years. that was every evening, every 20 mins at breakfast, up to 3am sometimes with school/work next day... and then 12 months later i got my first client.

I think what Berry (let's hope I don't anger the hulk) means are there are a lot of people (not just younger ones, adults too) who think that once they grab a copy of Photoshop/Dreamweaver/whatever that they are designers.

They don't realise that there's a whole 'world' behind it. History, theory, practices. They think that all you have to do is learn to make a few "pretty" things and then it's off to the big bad world of getting clients (and effectively ripping people off who don't know any better). It doesn't mean that all young people are rubbish, but that they should be pushed in the right direction, and that some (as you've shown) do know this.

It also isn't just young people, there's so many adults that do the same. The amount of "agencies" and "designers" who submit artwork to us that is of an incorrect format, badly spaced, not suitable for print is astonishingly high. Owning a copy of a CS/Photoshop doesn't make one a designer. oops, /rant off :)

I'm agreeing here, perhaps its not a young thing, its the over presumption that bothers all of us. I've got 2 years of college, degree and a masters, and I feel that I can justify me saying I'm a graphic designer now, but that doesn't stop me being in a position that I'm still learning.

Ok, I will admit that the work I produced in my early years was not good, but luckily I was happy being in uni, if I got clients I was practically begging for them, now they come to me. I think that is a big difference as well.

Timbo, don't take this personal, we aren't attacking you, for some reason we all like you! But the point stands you do need years and years of graft to get to a position where you can be at a professional level. I will even admit to the mistakes I made years ago, that didn't even occur to me then! Now, I know better, but this has taken time and the mistakes to learn from.

I think this is probably just poking Bruce and he's getting angry...

mrp2049 said:
I'm agreeing here, perhaps its not a young thing, its the over presumption that bothers all of us. I've got 2 years of college, degree and a masters, and I feel that I can justify me saying I'm a graphic designer now, but that doesn't stop me being in a position that I'm still learning.

Ok, I will admit that the work I produced in my early years was not good, but luckily I was happy being in uni, if I got clients I was practically begging for them, now they come to me. I think that is a big difference as well.

Timbo, don't take this personal, we aren't attacking you, for some reason we all like you! But the point stands you do need years and years of graft to get to a position where you can be at a professional level. I will even admit to the mistakes I made years ago, that didn't even occur to me then! Now, I know better, but this has taken time and the mistakes to learn from.

I think this is probably just poking Bruce and he's getting angry...

Well put :) I still (maybe rightly so) like I shouldn't tell people I'm a graphic designer, as per my job title, as I don't really *feel* like one, and sometimes don't feel good enough.

I think the main thing people have to remember is that you can never stop learning :)

All very good valid points by Becky and Micheal, and exactly the point I've been trying to validate.
This is not a 'young' issue it is proffessional issue. And certainly not a personal attack at Tim.
It is a broad generalisation of the majority of inexperienced guys with a piece of software.

i know im nothing special, alot of people my age could come out with 5X better work, i love design maybe i need to learn some culture behind it, but if you come out with something that someone likes isnt it job well done? :)

oh no i never said it was against me, if it was i just wouldnt reply and ignore it.

im still learning fo sho, i just bought a book on colouring + another on photography, i've been reading as many places around the web about typography for the past few weeks.

TomLuddington said:
i know im nothing special, alot of people my age could come out with 5X better work, i love design maybe i need to learn some culture behind it, but if you come out with something that someone likes isnt it job well done? :)

Of course, but clients aren't always the best judges of what is right - rather what they like/want, so don't run before you can walk. Strive to learn and if you get clients/referrals on the way, awesome. See it as a bonus rather than a need for now

Thankyou, well a friends dad wants a website doing, im no coder but i can make website :)
so thats something for me to do, hes running some business :L

TomLuddington said:
Thankyou, well a friends dad wants a website doing, im no coder but i can make website :)
This will be interesting, you wait till the webbies see this :blink:

I sort of agree with Tim... Equally there are plenty of academics who have formally studied design theory, have practical experience, call themselves designers and produce some 'questionable' work! It is however rare that you find someone who can understand why other peoples work that they encounter is so successful and then consistently communicate their own ideas as a result of being 'self taught'

Back