Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come up with my own design project?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by LouiseWDesign, Oct 4, 2014.

1. LouiseWDesign

LouiseWDesign New Member

Hi,
    I havn't long finished University and I am currently at home while I am looking for a job. In the meantime I have been working on improving some of my older University projects - improving upon them and adding them to my website.

But I don't want to keep doing this, I am itching to create something new and exciting, but now I am not being handed assignments, I am discovering just how hard it is to come up with my own, self-directed project.

What strategies do you use to use to come up with your own design projects?

2. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

We recently started a part of the forum just for people in your situation, there's only one post there at the moment and we're working on more.

Practice Design Briefs

3. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

I find I have ideas for stuff whilst working on other projects which cause me to branch off an idea at a tangent. Or an idea for a project will pop into my head whilst out walking or when I'm watching a film. Rarely do I sit down and generate ideas for my own stuff because this doesn't work for me.

Occasionally I'll have an idea that I know no client would ever really want to pursue, so I'll keep it in the back of my mind and let it gestate over time before putting a creative idea into my portfolio. I do this often with book covers (check out my Fight Club book cover idea). This is something that no publisher would be too keen to pursue, or a stockist to sell, it's purely an idea to show that I do actually have them form time to time.

Every time you have a strange idea or a 'what if' moment, keep it in the back of your mind and see what you can come up with. These don't have to be incredibly deep projects, just a quick mock up of an idea to keep your ideas flowing is enough.

4. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

This! :icon_biggrin:

I find when I'm reading up how to do something for a project, I'll stumble across something completely different that gets my interest and thats it!... off I go. lol

5. LouiseWDesign

LouiseWDesign New Member