How did you establish a relationship with your printers...

I think it is always best to choose a printer based on recommendation if you can, like with any service. Its good to choose a local printer so you can pop in to discuss your project. They normally dont mind. If you really want to discuss a particular effect your trying to get / match then its crucial that your able to visit your printer. You can probably find a cheaper printer on the net which will be fine for something like business cards / flyers which dont have any specific requirements. Its always good to shop around though because if you stay with one printer then you dont know if your going to get the best deal each time.

Hi guys, what are your top 5 requirements when it comes to choosing a printer?

We're still testing our online solution, but it would be great to hear your top 5 and you neve know we just might have time to add in the service/function.

Thanks.

I haven't read the whole thread, but I worked in pre-print for a printing company. I think it's gone bust now as it goes.

Inside it was very chaotic, and a lot of the staff pretty much moaned constantly about the customers. The best thing you can do to prevent that is obviously do your research and try to get the basics right.

The problem I often saw, was that the client would want something that would look stupid; the printer would tell them it's going to look stupid. Then they would have a sample and either say it looks stupid or go ahead and run the print and then decide it looks stupid.

The honest feedback is a good thing generally.

Depends what you want to do, We have resellers on print and deal with designers across the UK. Most peeps I deal with initially send me an email then we discuss prices and bingo off we go.

You need to be confident of your design skills and provide artwork in the right format, that's a common fault. Ideally, 3mm bleed and mad in illustrator outputted to PDF with trim marks enabled. Keep a close eye on pic quality (300dpi min) and ensure its CMYK or correct Pantone colors before submitting it

A good printer will help you, a bad one tends to say nothing. Bear in mind also, if the price is unreal it normally is, I saw a dude on the web this morning offering 1000 A6 flyers at £15..

My 10p worth
M:)

The worst programs in the world for artwork - Grrrr.. MS Publisher and Word. Microsoft sould be fined for releasing publisher due to errors, awful and to be avoided

Back