Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home / Business insurance..?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum:' started by richimgd, Sep 6, 2012.

  1. richimgd

    richimgd Member


    I have a question about insurance...! Please, dont leave...!

    Basically I am full time employed while also a sole trader. I need to get some home contents insurance rather than specialist business insurance if possible.

    The main thing is I have a new Macbook so need to make sure that its covered. I bought it for pure business use. Also I occasionally have clients round my place to discuss projects etc - i.e between 0-2 times per month, so hardly a full time type of business.

    Does anyone know if this type of use could be taken care of with some kind of home insurance policy or would I need to take out additional business cover? I noticed on compare the market there was an option that I ticked which was if clients visit my home for business use - so I guess this might not require a separate business insurance policy... I've been in touch with one insurer - but this is a bit of a minefield so thought I would see if anyone has any experience or recommendations?

  2. bigdave

    bigdave Moderator Staff Member

    Your MBP will be covered by a standard home contents insurance policy (might be worth listing it as a high value item). People visiting your home wont be covered on regular insurance as most policies have a clause that says by inviting a person into the house, you assume responsibility for theft or damage to your property. It's also a legal requirement to hold public liability insurance to cover your business premises if you employ staff or have members of the public/clients visiting your business address.
  3. richimgd

    richimgd Member

    Cheers Dave,

    I am thinking I might need separate public liability insurance for client visits etc. Its just on compare the market there was an option which was for this purpose by the looks of it.

    I listed the MacBook as a separate high value item. I just wouldn't want to make a claim only to find out that it would only be covered if I was using it for non business use when it would probably be quite clear that it was for business use - at least if they did any kind of claim investigation. I would want something with accidental damage cover because I think the biggest risk is probably spilling a drink on it!
  4. Katedesign

    Katedesign Well-Known Member

    I'm fairly certain that we just paid a bit extra on the premium to cover house for business use also. But I haven't checked - we did tell the broker what we were doing, couple of client visits pm etc.
  5. richimgd

    richimgd Member

    That sounds ideal to me. Will call a few more places and try and setup something similar :icon_smile:
  6. richimgd

    richimgd Member

    Can I ask who you got your insurance with?

Share This Page