Hey Guys, Newbie to the forum, in need of a bit of help :-)

wingnut4

Hey Guys, I was wondering if anyone can help me at all. i have tried youtube and google and adobe illustrator help and I cant seem to find out how to do it. I think its something simple but Im just abit lost!

So I have some text, say the word: UNITED (this isnt what it is but just a sample) and I have a ellipse shape which I have on top of part of it but at a low opacity so it creates like a slight sheen. I have tried creating outlines on the text and using clipping mask but it just cuts away the text. Tried different pathfinder options too but im having no luck! Or does anyone know a simplier way of doing it? i have attached a sample of what Im trying to do but obviously I dont want the ellipse image to show, just to keep the part on the text.

Thank you! I hope to use this forum alot more. Just starting to get back into graphic design again, so learning!

Attachments

Hello, what did you have trouble with when you tried the Pathfinder?

As with many things in design, there are several ways to skin a cat but I would simply:

1/ Select the text and the ellipse

2/ Click on Divide in Pathfinder

3/ Use the white plus arrow to select and then remove/delete parts of the ellipse that is not required, i.e. not on the text (don't forget the bit inside the D)

4/ Select all of the text (including the sheen effect you now have on top) and then in the Pathfinder select Unite. If for some reason Unite doesn't work (it should), try Merge.

Actually my mistake, Unite will remove the sheen effect as it Unites all the shapes into one. Ignore step 4, or if needed select Merge NOT Unite.

One important point:

Your text must be outlined beforehand for any of this to work.

It doesnt seem to be clear cut, its abit edgy (dont know the technical terms!) It gets worse if I do anything with it at all. Is this normal? Thanks Pic below

1517865318464.png

It doesnt seem to be clear cut, its abit edgy (dont know the technical terms!) It gets worse if I do anything with it at all. Is this normal? Thanks Pic below

View attachment 5681

It appears to be pixelated which shouldn't happen if you're using vector shapes, unless it's been rasterised. Go into outline view. Can you see the curved shape of the oval or is it displaying as a box?

Yeh you can see the curved shape. It seems to change once I hit the Divide on pathfinder. Thanks for your help!

It seems to change once I hit the Divide on pathfinder.

What do you mean by this?

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 22.14.42.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-05 at 22.16.24.pngScreen Shot 2018-02-05 at 22.15.19.png

Sorry I got carried away and 'blinged' out the S :cool:

But as you can see, there doesn't seem to be any edgy issues when I zoom into the S. And there can't be any pixelation as they are not made from pixels, they are vectors.

Looks perfect for you! Im going to try put it into a new document and try it again. This is my document setup:

1517906546252.png

Or if you want to be able to edit the sheen position or alter its opacity...
1) convert text to paths
2) Select path type and go to 'object' > 'compound path' > 'make' (this may remove the fill colour - just refill black)
3) Duplicate the piece of compound path text
4) Place oval behind - select the oval & compound path and go to 'object' > 'Clipping mask' > 'make'. This pastes the
oval inside the type and using the white arrow you can select the oval and move it around within the lettering,
change it's opacity/colour etc.

Hope that makes sense!?

1) convert text to paths
2) Select path type and go to 'object' > 'compound path' > 'make' (this may remove the fill colour - just refill black)
4) Place oval behind - select the oval & compound path and go to 'object' > 'Clipping mask' > 'make'. This pastes the
oval inside the type and using the white arrow you can select the oval and move it around within the lettering,

Hope that makes sense!?

This should also work without step 2

Try copy and pasting the text behind itself and work with the text on top. So you have an unaltered outlined text behind once you’ve finished. That may solve the issue...

I got it working with pasting the text on top again like you said. Thanks!

1) convert text to paths

Hope that makes sense!?

Brilliant thank you! worked also :)

Back