Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Helvetica - The Movie

Discussion in 'Font Forum:' started by Tony Hardy, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

Has anyone seen Helvetica? Anyone that went to Leeds Met Uni has probably seen the film well enough to be able to transcribe it.
    What did anyone think of it? I enjoyed it on first watch, 4th or 5th time you start wanting to gouge your eyes out and ears off.

Is Helvetica really the best and most beautiful font ever made? Do you still use it?
    Has anyone seen Gary Hustwit's other films? Objectified springs to mind but I haven't seen it?

2. berry

berry Active Member

I never found the Times to see it

3. Matt Harle

Matt Harle Guest

I've never seen the film, but I quite like Helvetica as a font. I've used it from time to time on DVD covers and menus.

4. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

Ho. Ho. Ho.

5. artworkabode

artworkabode New Member

Helvetica is like the 2B of Typefaces. Its bold, beautiful, easy to use but by no means is the best for any and all situations. If you want a clean, professional image for print, Helvetica is the way to go. But if you're working on a project with a bit more character or imagination, You might want to shop around.

http://www.artworkabode.com/desktop-publishing/typesetting.php

6. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Would you say it's worth everyone having a watch of the movie, Tony? Shame it's not a western, there would be a town serif.

...I'll get my coat.

7. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I call for the ban hammer..... that 'joke' is just dreadful

8. Jimlad

Jimlad Well-Known Member

Be glad I didn't call someone the font of all knowledge... or pull a funny face and say I was kerning...

9. Jordan

Jordan Active Member

People at Uni wouldn't stop talking about this film, "You have to see it" as a designer your kind of inclined to watch the film as its about Helvetica :rolleyes: , tbh I couldn't think of anything more boring.

On another note, what is it with student in general, you wouldn't believe the change from first to last year, for example their change in clothes and music preference changed whilst studying.

For example, we talked about Peter Saville and from then on everyone in my class where Joy Division fans, making shrines to Ian Curtis.

Another one I can remember was a girl wearing "I love Helvetica T-shirt" seriously B)

10. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I can understand that one, it's kind of 'ironic' for a designer to wear it... it's not like we really love helvetica, it's just that it's more of the go to font when all else fails lol

As to music tastes... no idea why they'd do that, I know I was experimenting while at uni (as were others) with new music, I know several people who just went out and bought a random cd each week/month (before digital media really took off) so if it was one or two I could understand it but if most of them did then seriously they were sucking up to the tutor lol

11. Davidw

Davidw Member

Just watched trailer on YouTube - first minute or two brought up some forgotten unpleasant memories with the metal type...

scotty likes this.
  12. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

You too?

No school like the old school. ;)