help with a handmade Jewellery Logo design concept.

JordanPlantDesign

hi guys,
just wondering if anyone could help with some advise.
I'm currently sketching some ideas for a logo for a client who is a jeweller,

they want something that doesn't incorporate diamonds but wants it to represent jewellery made in a traditional way.
they want it quite modern looking and not old fashioned,

trying to find a blend between both means as I'm struggling for ideas without using diamonds as a main focus.
iv looked at possibly using a eye loupe which they use and hands for starters.

any suggestions ??

My worry would be the eye loupe device (and alternatives such as hammers and anvils) focuses more on the technique of making the jewellery, rather than the personal nature and uniqueness of each piece. Those two things are arguably synonymous, but I think the personal, artisanal nature of each piece is a stronger selling point both for your logo rationale, but also the brand as a whole. Maybe the client thinks they want something that represents the fact that the pieces are made using traditional techniques, but perhaps they haven't considered the option of their hand being what makes each product what it is and that there's a story behind every piece of jewellery they make?

As for a device, it could be anything that the client/company has a connection or attraction to, even something personal since the jewellery literally comes from them. It's made using a traditional method, by hand, by a person. What's that person's story? If there are several people making the jewellery, do they have a mark each that you combine into the overall identity?

The logo doesn't necessarily have to represent 'jewellery' when you look at it. It would mean more if it was indicative of the client's roots or ethos. You could extend this idea to the branding and packaging. Perhaps each piece comes with a little hand written card with the date it was finished that includes information about where it was made, and by whom, the techniques used, etc, to show what went into each piece and why 'ring X' is unique to 'ring Y'.

Failing that, maybe a stylised drop cap that they engrave into each piece themselves as a makers mark?

really like that idea of a hand written information piece to each product they make. nice little touch. I may mention this to them , could have like you said a maker mark of the company on there somewhere to give it a subtle touch.

hi paul. just a few quick sketch ideas I did, any guidance / feedback would be great.

as I said there are real quick starter sketches.

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    81.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 9
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 9
  • image4.JPG
    image4.JPG