Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health & Safety for Graphic Designers

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by splidge.., Oct 18, 2011.

1. splidge..

splidge.. New Member

Hi, I need to find the UK legislation for health & safety for Graphic Designers. If anyone could link me up or share any information it would be much appreciated :icon_smile:
  2. Katy Blackham

Katy Blackham New Member

I'm not sure there is a set of rules for Graphic Design H&S but I guess all the regs on using a computer would apply (chair positions, lenght of time looking a screen etc). Try this link, hope that is the kind of info you were looking for?

Safe computer use : Directgov - Employment
  3. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I'd agree with Katy. DSE (Display Screen Equipment) assessments and regular eye tests would have covered it I'd have thought. Other than that it would be general office stuff (or 'common sense' as we like to call it).
  4. splidge..

splidge.. New Member

Yeah I think thats the kind of info i should have been looking for. Thanks guys!
  5. YellowPeril

YellowPeril Member

I always make sure that I'm wearing a hard hat, protective glasses and steel toe capped boots when using Photoshop!:icon_hide:
  6. CoachMhairi

CoachMhairi New Member

If you work at home alone, you might want to check-out Lone Working.

If you work in business premises, employ others, etc, a whole different set of challenges apply. The Health & Safety Executive publish many free leaflets, there's an A-Z list here, it would be a great starting point HSE - Publications: Free Leaflets

You can also ask your local authority for advice.

I know a very down-to-earth H&S safety consultant if that's useful. I saw one of his talks, it was actually interesting and reassuring!

(The H&S Executive used to publish funny posters, well they made me laugh, "H&S Myth of the Month" - archives are here Myth of the month)
  7. dot design

dot design Member

Always cut away from you when using a scalpel, otherwise you can end up with additional blood splatter effect added to your designs :icon_biggrin:
  8. matt

matt Member

Happened to me a few times... :icon_blushing:

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Keep a fire extinguisher near by at all times.
  10. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Hold your coffee cup with two hands when near your Macbook.
  11. ahcstudio

ahcstudio Member

Happened to me a lot of times.. i used to be a print finisher.. you'd think i'd learn :icon_rolleyes:
  12. gammerscreative

gammerscreative New Member

A flask of coffee to minimise spillage and frequent toilet breaks! :icon_biggrin: