Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphic Design profession

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by OBT, Oct 26, 2010.

1. OBT

OBT New Member

I am currently studying my Alevels and thinking about going on too study graphic design as a course at university, i would like to know your thoughts on Graphic Design as a profession and also wheter you think it would be a right choice to make or not?
  2. linziloop

linziloop Member

It's very competitive and if you're thinking of doing a degree to get a good grade they are a LOT of work. I see so many people go into this kind of thing because they think it will be an easy ride at uni - it's really, really not. What other choices are you considering? How serious are you about graphic design, have you put a lot of thought and effort into it already or is it just something you think you might like?
  3. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member

I imagine most of us here would have positive things to say about design as a profession but right choice or not very much depends on you. I suppose the questions I'd throw back are a) do you have a flair for it?, and b) do you enjoy doing it?
  4. rgregory

rgregory Member

I feel so lucky to be in the profession i'm in and really enjoy work practically everyday, grated there are times when it's not so great but I don't think I could do any other job.

I personally never went to Uni - I started my career as an apprentice (with a very good mentor and worked my way up from there), Between learning on the job, getting into a pickle and having to find a way out, reading alot of books/magazines and regularly visiting tutorial and blogging websites I have managed to make a living out of something that I was passionate about. Therefore Dave is completely right, you need to have a flair and passion to start with - then choose the right path for you to get there, and the point i'm trying to make in this post is that the obvious isn't necessarily the only way. If I ever have the chance (or they build a campus in the North East) this is definitely the course I'd invest my time and money in. Graphic Design courses: Shillington College Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane Australia

Good luck in whatever you decide to do,
  5. OBT

OBT New Member

Thankyou for all the advice. I am currently choosing between marketing and advertisment and 3D Graphic Design to study and university but having a tough time making my decision. I love drawing and love seeing my final product go through all the stages of work from design to practical is a great love of mine.