Gradient in Photoshop

Jenny

I'm trying to put a gradient at the top and the bottom of a photo in Photoshop. I can get the top one, but when I try to put one at the bottom the top one disappears. Do I need to create another layer for the bottom one?

You can do it a number of ways. If you are using the layers panel, go New fill layer > gradient > double click on gradient thumbnail > click on the dropdown on the gradient panel
and make sure you have you colours in the foreground and background in the tools panel. Otherwise, just simply use the gradient tool in the tools panel.

You either need multiple layers as said by wardy with their own a-b (0-100%) gradients or you can do a single layer with an a-b-a (0-50-100%) gradient where a and b are your colours.

This is what I have done. I have the gradient at the top, but when I try to add one at the bottom it doesn't work. (I use the gradient tool from the toolbox.) I've done it in the past, but can't remember how. I'm stumped!

sample.jpg

It's not really clear what you're trying to achieve - half of your photo is transparent as we see there. If you want another separate
gradient it needs to be on another layer. What's that bottom layer, should it be on top?

It's not really clear what you're trying to achieve - half of your photo is transparent as we see there. If you want another separate
gradient it needs to be on another layer. What's that bottom layer, should it be on top?
Looks like they might be trying to use a layer mask to fade the top and bottom to me.

Jenny if that is the case you need to put an a-b-a type gradient on the layer 1 you're using for the mask.

If you want the same at the bottom as the top, edit your layer mask channel and add the desired gradient to that, ie a white to black gradient at the bottom of your layer mask channel will give you corresponding transparency-opacity on your image.

You need to use a gradient with only black, aka the other colour being transparent. What's happening is it's adding a black and white gradient to the layer mask, you want to just add the black parts to mask areas off. Photoshop has a default gradient you can use to do this. Use that and you can draw 'multiple' gradients on the same layer mask:

Back