glenwheeler.co.uk

Your site is primarily labelled to do with web design and development, not as a personal, If it's not for work (you've never said it wasn't) then keep it how you want it.

My site is not up for critique yet, I'm currently working on a new and updated one as my current one is to put it lightly not ideal (still does it's job at the moment though) hence why I'm working on a new one when I have spare time (work first, site second). When it's finished it will be up for critique as I will welcome the clear unbiased opinions of others, as a fresh perspective is always helpful :)

I see. What's the current site?

Yeh it's labelled as web designer and developer but ingress it
Is a personal site. I'll take comments in and take a look at moving the 'motorsport' thing.

Will focus on re writing content however the sport thing will remain as it's a big part of my life and where I am now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It seems that your asking for advice and when getting it your just rejecting it when in actual fact I think from what I've read everyone is raising some very important points.

Hi Glen,

From the link provided, the title would suggest you wanted a critique about your webdesign & development related website, as such it appears that the website is more about you and your hobby than it is about your web development work. I would suggest this is mainly due to the large feature graphic.

Such is the nature of the business, honest critiques are rarely a pleasant experience, having to face the bare facts as some one else see's them takes a degree of humility, so don't take the comments negatively, they have been formed on a miss understanding on what your website is about.

Obviously, if you wish to mix webdesign and cars together that's entirely up to you, however, within a critique process if the majority pull your design/solution up on points then there is something that you should consider, if you looking to improve.

Just my 2p's worth, look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Geoff

Critique can be hard to swallow.

I was on a judging panel once when Chairman of the Judges Trevor Beattie open a window and scrunched up my my work and promptly threw it out of the window of the 3rd floor Saatchi & Saatchi boardroom.

..........I didn't own up to it being my work - but I realised, what you like and what other people see - are two different things. Who is right? Depends on the bank balance I suppose/

Youve opened up a good debate here Glen. As a late comer to the party, Id have to agree with the majority of opinions so far. If the site is just for fun, for personal use then that is fine. However, if the aim is to attract clients, sell yourself as a designer and gain more work then I think it misses the mark.

When clients are looking for designers they dont care what they look like, who they are, how they dress, all they are interested in is what they will get in return for the cash that they plan to spend. So because of that, you can get rid of anything that gets in the way of your work as its not important.

I would suggest having 2 sites, one for work that stays focused on work and is purely professional, then a second site for personal use.

In terms of the copy, I would lose the second paragraph on the home page as it's too personable from a business perspective. I would also refine the 'about' content a lot as it's a large amount of text!

I would also consider the hierarchy of the homepage, with more of an emphasis on the work than what you look like. The navigation could be worked into a little more and is there really a need for a search bar to search your site?!

I think the middle of the homepage is working more for me and could be applied to the rest.

In the footer, I don't like the newsletter boxes with the red outline. It looks like input boxes where you haven't filled in the required fields.

In the portfolio, I like to have the images link through to the more detailed version of the work, which I think you should include (within the design of the site rather than a separate hosted image).

The photography section is pretty week for a portfolio, maybe better kept to the blog.

I think you're getting there, just consider a little more what your aims are for the website, work more into the design, and TAKE CRIT ON BOARD!!! ha

just on a side note about your site - everything is quite LARGE, it's like i've zoomed in, take it down a notch, just because there is space, doesn't mean you have to fill it.

That MASSIVE button for example just looks ugly, yeah, people will notice it, because it's ugly. The search is clamped to the top right, i only noticed it when i zoomed out in Firefox.

The rotating banner sits under the fold, i'm a big fan of moving forward from the restraints of the fold, but you have to get people to 'want to scroll'.

The site looks flat, blocky, there's no, what i like to call 'essence' - people are doing amazing things with CSS3, gradients, textures, rollovers these days, SHOW OFF WHAT YOU CAN DO!

Constructive criticism is great for you, for anyone, i can see you are opinionated, but, unfortunately you may not have the experience to fight your corner yet. In time you might realise you're not always correct.

Everyone here wants to help, and this is my 2p.

Back