GIF question

An animated gif (one G) is just a simple animation. It can be anything. A smiley, a flashy button, a glowy graphic, a stick-man doing Kung-Fu... I've done animated gifs when I was but a lad for various things but it's hardly the height of animation or design or anything. I wouldn't get hug up on animated gifs. They rarely look good and the purposes for them are limited in my opinion. Unless used incredibly subtly they just look cheesy.

Here's something I did a few months ago as an assignment. The animation isn't very impressive, but the pixel-art was really the focus of it.

Z5Fc.pixelart.gif

Here's one that isn't by me but which I do find quite impressive

xuq29.gif

That’s impressive. Tell you what, I’m inspired. going to try and create a moving pic in Image Ready right now, as I see that it's possible to do something complex and interesting. I wonder how a fading effect would come out (just a simple one). We'll see.

Ok, the fading is too quick, but I can improve it.

WEBIAN-moving-picture.gif

I think the potential of an animated gif is higher than what is usually believed. I'm going to try and see if I can make it look more flash-like.

It seems that you changed the opacity for every new frame. A better and easier way to do it is to set the opacity at 0% in the first frame and at 100% in the second. Then just click the "Tween" button, which looks like 3 or 4 circles in a diagonal line.

I never spotted the tween button in Fireworks! I must've missed it. It's been a looong time since I dabbled.
Loving the space-house though Kevin. I especially like the frosted look of the dome.

Thanks, pixel art is very time-consuming so I was glad when I finished it :)
But yeah, the tweening function works well on most animations; opacity, color, position, glows....

Kevin said:
It seems that you changed the opacity for every new frame. A better and easier way to do it is to set the opacity at 0% in the first frame and at 100% in the second. Then just click the "Tween" button, which looks like 3 or 4 circles in a diagonal line.

Thanks Kevin! That’s opened up new perspectives. Yes, I did the previous one frame by frame manually… didn’t know about the Tweening button. It’s definitely worth exploring in all its potential.

So far (from 1% to 100%, 21 frame in between, blend option):

WEBIAN-moving-picture-2.gif

Back