Getting started in graphic design

Not at all Typo I'm happy to answer the question.

Three years of persistence after uni and a wealth of self-initiated personal projects served me well in an interview I got from having my cv on monster. Learnt a lot while at that company (despite working with Typo! Haha) and got made redundant a year and a half later (along with Typo and many others since). Ive done some freelance bits and bobs since then and have recently left my 2nd office job after a year to pursue more freelance illustration work and doing the occasional course to help fill some technical gaps in my knowledge.

Not exactly rock n roll beginnings, but it's getting there. Got some nice work on at the moment and looking forward to the published results sometime next year, all going well.

what did you study at uni? can people making a living on freelancing??

and any more career startings would be welcomed..the more input the better

I am playing with the idea of pulling out of the hnd and getting my graphic design ba with idi

I'm presuming a bachelor of arts is the best experience and prep i would need for a design career?

I studied a BA in Electronic Media Design. They've changed the title since to something like graphic design and interactive multimedia.

It taught me some software, some basic design principles, but it's severely arguable how much it "prepared" me for working in the creative industry. Cynicism aside, the more knowledge you can acquire the better, by whatever methods.

Are you in the right thread Joseph? This one's about starting out in a graphic design career, not about creating logos.

hi mysterion who are you doing your course through? i'm looking for distance learning and your course may sound a winner

Back