Getting paid, may seem like an obvious question....

Artyfart

Hi there all :tea:

I've recently started freelance after a looong break and I was wondering how you go about getting paid, I'm firstly tossing up the idea of getting payment upfront (think this would be wise) but then I got to thinking about method? How does someone go about paying you by anything other than cash or cheque (blimey do they even exist anymore!?) What about credit card?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as always!

For me it is generally BACs (bank transfers) or Paypal. Paypal is a good thing but remember that you pay a fee to receive funds so that has to be added to cost. Payment up front is always a good idea, but can depend on the job. For example if it is a logo design I tend to ask for a non-refundable 50% down then they will receive their finished files on payment of the balance. When I am designing and printing I tend to do the design and when they are happy with it I ask for full payment. If it is design only I generally ask for payment up front. There are a couple of customers who prefer to pay for design once they have signed it off in which case all their proofs are watermarked with 2 or 3 deliberate typos ;)

I always take a 50% non-returnable deposit up front and that's never put anyone off. Then, on completion I take the rest. For small jobs (under £200) I ask for the full balance paid at once. I also offer a 5% discount to any clients willing to pay the full balance up front at the start of their project.

I accept Paypal and BACs and that's about it really, not had the need to deal with anything other than that just yet.

With Paypal, you have to be really careful because rumour has it you're not allowed to state on your invoice "4% Paypal fees" as an added cost. It has to be built into the price. Allegedly anyway. Breach of terms and conditions.

I receive almost all payment via BACS these days, though there's still one or two who prefer cheque. I usually offer a 14 day credit window after completion too, unless I'm arranging the print for them in which case I take full payment after the artwork is approved and then place the order for them.

Do you put these terms and conditions clearly visible on your websites for potential clients to view or is it a part of the contract they sign?

Do you put these terms and conditions clearly visible on your websites for potential clients to view or is it a part of the contract they sign?

I have a set of Terms & Conditions I send clients along with their quote, then get acceptance in email form.

Tony,

Did you get your t&c's professionally put together?

I researched a few designers online that have T&C available to look at, took ideas from what was appropriate to me and them had them looked over.

So professionally put together no, but, checked professionally, yeah.

I researched a few designers online that have T&C available to look at, took ideas from what was appropriate to me and them had them looked over.

So professionally put together no, but, checked professionally, yeah.

I did that too.

Back