From-the-internet photos

Suz Anne

I have recently worked for a client to produce flyers for local event promotion. Client is mostly supplying me with pictures that they took from google images, am I allowed to use these when considering copyrights? I assume not, or at least it's a grey area. I want to just go with the content the client provides me, so could I or the client potentially get into trouble by using pictures like this?

A few questions on pictures:
- If I want to use stock photos, how do I calculate the costs for these through to the client? Same goes for fonts by the way.
- Sometimes I used my own pictures that I took in the past, if they feel relevant to their content / what they want to convey. Do you charge for this too? It feels a bit 'stingy' to charge for every little thing, however I also don't want to give my skills away for free.
- I would love to offer a photography optional service as well, but this is a whole different line of business. Does anyone have experience doing this?

- If I want to use stock photos, how do I calculate the costs for these through to the client? Same goes for fonts by the way.

I send them a link to the stock site - they can buy it themselves, or, if they want you to buy them then I calculate roughly how much time it takes to purchase them, including searching/research.

£Stock Photo + £Hourly Rate/Research
£20(price will be given on the site) + £30ph

Research = 30 minutes per image
1 image = £15 half hourly rate = £35
2 images = £30 (hourly rate) = £50

You could include a price matrix for research something like:
1-5 images = £Stock image prices + hour rate
1 image = £20 + £30 = £50
2 images = £40 + £30 = £70
3 images = £60 + £30 = £90
4 images = £80 + £30 = £110
5 images = £100 + £30 = £130

6-10 images = £Stock image + hour rate x2
6 image = £120 + £60 = £180
7 images = £140 + £60 = £200
8 images = £160 + £60 = £220
9 images = £180 + £60 = £240
10 images = £200 + £60 = £260

Or by giving them a link to the site they purchase and send you the files - but incur the time of research themselves.

-Sometimes I used my own pictures that I took in the past, if they feel relevant to their content / what they want to convey. Do you charge for this too? It feels a bit 'stingy' to charge for every little thing, however I also don't want to give my skills away for free.

If it's your photo that you took personally and you don't want to charge for it - then don't.
If you want to charge for it - then I'd charge per photo @£10 per photo (or whatever you're comfortable with).

If it's a photo from a previously downloaded stock image - you will most likely find that the EULA stipulates you may only use the image once for the purpose of downloading, and "stockpiling" photos for use in other work is usually forbidden.

I would love to offer a photography optional service as well, but this is a whole different line of business. Does anyone have experience doing this?

If you want to offer this as a service - get other rates from other photographers in the area for their fees and what they charge.

thank you, this is very helpful!

I have just been researching the copyright question and found this in a company's T&C's:
"By supplying text, images and other data to [[design company]] for inclusion in the customer’s website or other medium, the customer declares that it holds the appropriate copyright and/or trademark permissions. The ownership of such materials will remain with the customer, or rightful copyright or trademark owner. "

So, that solves my question about the use of photos from google images, the rights to these are the client's responsibility!

thank you, this is very helpful!

I have just been researching the copyright question and found this in a company's T&C's:
"By supplying text, images and other data to [[design company]] for inclusion in the customer’s website or other medium, the customer declares that it holds the appropriate copyright and/or trademark permissions. The ownership of such materials will remain with the customer, or rightful copyright or trademark owner. "

So, that solves my question about the use of photos from google images, the rights to these are the client's responsibility!

It's up to you source images responsibly for your client.

If your client supplies images - it's up to them to make sure they have the appropriate licence to distribute.

I just get the client to buy the images being used, I'll source anything they need but I'll just get them to buy it because I've seen some t&c's which didn't actually allow me to buy for the client and well if they're the 'owner' of the image being used it saves any issues with contracts/t&c's if it pops up later down the line.

As above, I actually have in my T&C's that the licensing and permission to use any client supplied imagery is the responsibility of the client and that I won't be held responsible if the imagery supplied is later found to not have a license allowing it's use etc.

Back