• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Freelancing for a company - How does it work?

zoey

Introduction - I graduated in 2012, and have been working as a in-house designer for almost 2 years, within the company we do offer a design service so over the past year I have gained a few contacts etc. I will be leaving my job in a few months as I am relocating and will be keeping in contact with some previous clients who want me to do freelance work for them, some being bigger companies.

Question - How does freelancing for bigger companies work, How are you paid? When I have freelanced in the past for smaller businesses I take a 50% deposit upfront etc, but I assume its very different with bigger corporations.

@GCarlD

No, it's still generally the same idea. Get your 50% deposit, and have a decent contract for them to sign that clearly states both you and your clients' responsibilities etc.

Welcome to the forums btw.

Paul Murray

Staff member
I often freelance in one main studio, and I never take a deposit from them, mainly because we have a good working relationship that, but also because we never know how long I'll actually be there. Two days often turns into a week when the proverbial hits the fan anyway.

They normally just ring me up asking my availability and we pencil in a number of days for me to work in the studio with their design team. I just charge per hour/day, fill in a time-sheet at the end of each day, then add up the time at the end and send them an invoice along with the timesheets.

@GCarlD

Sorry my mistake, Paul is precisely right. I did exactly that for 4 years with the exception of having to fill out time sheets. I thought you meant when you leave your job you will then then become self-employed, working from your own premisses for the clients of the bigger companies.

Corrosive

I will be leaving my job in a few months as I am relocating and will be keeping in contact with some previous clients who want me to do freelance work for them, some being bigger companies.
Apologies, I don' know the full story, but is this ethical? Are these not your current employer's clients?

zoey

Hi all thanks for the advice. Will take this on board.

No I don't believe I'm breaking any ethnical issues on my part, my contract states I'm purely in-house, I get client work here and there but we don't offer it as a service as such.