Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Free Wordpress Portfolio Theme sought with...

Discussion in 'Website Design Forum:' started by kojak, Jul 15, 2017.

1. kojak

kojak New Member

...the following characteristics:

simple elegant minimal
    full width grid display with butted and separated images
    top line menu
    slideshow
    expanding thumbnail images
    message me facility

Thanks in advance

K

2. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

There are LOADS of them out there.

I think it's just a case of looking to see what suits you.

3. MrJoe10

MrJoe10 Member

If you create your own theme, you will be able to customize it to suit your specific needs. Visit Youtube, there are plenty of good videos there, where you will be taught how to create a theme from scratch.

4. kojak

kojak New Member

Scotty, Mr Joe 10

Thanks for your replies. I am aware that there are lots of them about, but that's just the point. If one hasn't ever put one together, how does one choose? One's left either with finding a tutorial setting a suitable portfolio one up (I haven't been able to find one yet, but will keep trying, they should be out there), or one's left with looking at the advertised typical theme page and go with that. Wordpress is a pretty opaque bit of software. Anyway what I am doing is setting a site up using the Sketch theme and will see if that works and if not will try another. I can learn Wordpress that way as you suggest.

5. MrJoe10

MrJoe10 Member

Wordpress is one of the biggest platforms for websites today. I understand that it can seem a bit hard as you have not done it earlier. Many people have been in the same situation. When they learned the basics of Wordpress, they got the knowledge to create and customize their own website. There will be trial and error situations along the way, no doubt. Of course it's possible to buy a theme or find a free theme. But always there are some things that you want to change and customize. If you have the knowledge, you will not need to hire someone to do the job. You will be able to do it yourself.

Also it seems that you think that a tutorial will only teach you how to set up that specific theme. I would like to counter that perception. When you look at a video you will get a firm understanding about how the platform works. You don't have to do exactly as the video says. With the knowledge you get, you will be able to customize the theme you want to create in accordance with your needs.