Fonts on website

TomStutt

Hi all, hopefully a quick one

How do i set a font on a site so it comes up even if the user hasnt got it installed.

cheers all

There's also sIFR and sIFR Lite.

I've had issues with font sizes not being consistent when using sIFR though. Also there's a slight delay sometimes before you see the actual font displayed. I haven't had the chance to test sIFR Lite yet, but I'd probably give Cufon or Typekit a go before going down the sIFR route.

edit, Cufon is fine as long as the licensing on the font(s) used permits public usage/distribution, otherwise you can potentially land yourself in hot water.

And obviously there is the new @font-family css property but it's still glitchy across browsers.

who said the new fonts he wanted to put up werent simple?

edit: post before got deleted, so it looks like i started a conversation for no reason. my baaaad

Onartis said:
And obviously there is the new @font-family css property but it's still glitchy across browsers.

It's not. It works in all the current ones plus IE6. It only doesn't work in Chrome and that's for security reasons, although you can turn it back on manually.

TomStutt said:
Hi all, hopefully a quick one

How do i set a font on a site so it comes up even if the user hasnt got it installed.

cheers all

You have several options (as outlined above) but to make a decision you need to consider a few things:

a) are the fonts licensed for use on the web?
b) will the type need rendering on the fly (i.e. will the type be dynamic, or will it never change)
c) how frequently will it appear, disregarding the above point.

The reasons I ask are

a) the font needs to be licensed for use up on't web. If not then you can't use @font-face and some others
b) if it is dynamic text, this rules out CSS image replacement
c) if it appears just once per page then it seems pointless bringing in all the overheads that come with sIFR etc when you can use a simple image replacement with CSS.

Back