• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

First Wordpress Site

Hi Guys,

Was reading through some old posts on here when I joined up, and I noticed a lot you recommended Wordpress as a CMS.

Anyway, as I was just starting to think about designing my own portfolio site I thought I would take the plunge and have a go using Wordpress.

I did a wee tutorial on creating themes, and planned out what I wanted it to look like within Photoshop.

I built it locally on Xampp and uplaoded it last nite. There are still a few niggles I need to work out (mainly regarding folder permissions on the new server for some of the plugins I'm using) and some minor CSS tweeks I want to do but for the most part it's done.

Iain Fergus | Web & Print Designer from Ayr, Scotland.

If anyone has a sec, I would love to hear what you think.

Cheers,
Iain.

Yeah I know what you mean.

I've only used Joomla a few times before as well, so I thought I should try to learn wordpress. Not sure I have a preference yet.

Cheers for looking!

Tom Sound

Looks good Iain, nice and clear, good cross section of work and some cool paintings, got some good texture going on. All the text reads well too :up:

I was worried about the line length, I was originally going to have the sub-menu down the side, which would have helped that, but changed my mind as it looked better under the main menu.

I will look into that, but I think it is more of a concern on the blog than the other pages.

I've sorted the logo link, thanks for reminding me!

mrp2049

I like it, but as mr freezy said, you can spot a wordpress a mile off! I don't know if thats a bad thing or a good thing?

mrp2049 said:
I like it, but as mr freezy said, you can spot a wordpress a mile off! I don't know if thats a bad thing or a good thing?
It depends on what anybody thinks................wordpress for me is blogging :p
It's not a bad idea for a portfolio site but how many clients really like their corporate sites built with wordpress :confused:

Kevin

iain_darkflare said:
I will look into that, but I think it is more of a concern on the blog than the other pages.
Look for a solution on the About page too, especially since that's the landing page. Perhaps you could move the examples of your work to a sidebar on the right. It would definitely help a lot.

But like you said, the portfolio and contact page are fine.

C

chrismitchell

oh hell yeah theres loads of stuff on those sites.. Info coming from 5 different sources and all sorts of crap :p glad you like them h_freezy :)

C

chrismitchell

no.. all that stuff comes from different places dynamically (some RSS some submitted and some by the marketing team) so its all sorts really.. I made a custom wordpress plugin for spellchecking based on the oxford english dictionary. Very complicated really :lol:

chrismitchell said:
no.. all that stuff comes from different places dynamically (some RSS some submitted and some by the marketing team) so its all sorts really.. I made a custom wordpress plugin for spellchecking based on the oxford english dictionary. Very complicated really :lol:
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

am not as advanced as you chris.....never done something like that before but i like the whole rss and the plugin for spellchecking! CMS is the way forward for clients these days and am a complete novice ..................thats why i never admit to like cms:p

C

chrismitchell

well worth learning mate :) I'm by no means advanced.. I just played around till it worked really LOL :) trial and error.. i'm still learning all that can be done.. my own personal sites are all going to be wordpress when i finally work out what i want to do with them all LOL :)