Feedback on personal monogram, please?

kdesy

Hi everyone,

Just after some feedback on a few concepts for a personal logo. I am looking to cut down the concept to one to refine.

A little about me:
I am a 25 year old digital designer with a passion for clean, easy to use, accessible interfaces. I also sometimes play front-end developer, but this is in a very junior stage. I have a broad range of skills as I started in print but moved to digital (where my heart lies) very quickly. Where I live, the industry and the digital design community itself is very small and very male dominated.

The mark:
I am not starting a freelance business, but I am looking to brand myself well in order to get my name out. I would hope that if I ever did decide to start to branch out on my own, my personal mark would have survived the test of time. Based on my name, my mark needed to include the letters K and T (uppercase or lowercase) and can be abstract and/or shown through negative space, shapes, lines etc. I am not concerned with it reading linearly. The logo should work in various sizes and mostly online. The only printed material might be business cards and a letterhead.

While I am personally pretty feminine my target is males as they are the employers around here. Luckily, my design style is quite clean which can sometimes be mistake for 'masculine'. However I still want it to reflect me further, which I look to achieve through the colours. I think my overall brand will allow me to changed the colour of the logo sporadically while maintaining the mark. I think my base colour will be a pastel pink/orange to offset the 'masculinity' of the logo. I love some good contrast.

As for the circles, I just really like them.

Anyway, any feedback would be more than appreciated! Top right is custom type :)

Thanks
K

CONCEPTS -----------------------------------

mono-01.jpg

I think I prefer the first one, and I also like the one below it, though this one could possibly be mistaken for 'RT'. The last one is also quite nice, but feels a little too abstract to me.

I really like them. I think they all look good. Problem is that 1 and 3 are very samey as looooads of stuff at the moment, so many companies using this, companies like motto and a load of others. Doesnt stop me liking it though :)

I'd go with numer one

Number one for me, probably worth thickening up the lines a tad though. Might be worth seeing what it looks like without the circle?

Thank you for your feedback guys, it's really appreciated.

I have sketched close to 100 concepts, and vectorized quite a few. I created the first concept in the above image about half way through the process and I do keep coming back to it. I am quite fond of it.

I've implemented some of your suggestions, what do you think? I'm looking at colours like this, but like I said I'd like to work in the ability to have changing colour. I don't mind it without the circle but I think it stands up a little more with it. I also just love circles so I would like to keep it. Maybe I can have both and use the most appropriate one when needed? I think I am liking the thicker stroke.

I have seen a few that are a similar style but not many. I really like that Motto one! (I Googled it and think I found the right one). I've done a heap of research on local designers and no one has anything similar to this... Hmm... something to consider though, definitely. Once I chose a concept I still want to explore different possibilities with it. Don't want to over think it though.

mono-v2-01-01-01.png

Evolving this concept a little more (or maybe overcomplicating)

monogram-extend-02.png

Edit: Ehhhh... no I don't think I really like that... :-\

Last edited:
I think the last one would work well with a smaller circle. At the moment the trailing line is too long. It looks great with colour. Keep up the fine work! :icon_smile:

Thanks xmos77 but I'm a little confused.

Did you mean the last one of the first lot with a smaller circle? And which trailing line?

Thanks xmos77 but I'm a little confused.

Did you mean the last one of the first lot with a smaller circle? And which trailing line?

I was thinking of the one with "Ehhhh... no I don't think I really like that... :-\" underneath. I thought that if the surround coloured circle was smaller then the line that leads from the monogram to the edge of the circle would be smaller and the whole thing would have a bit more balance. Just a thought :icon_smile:

The thicker line version works for me. Kind of neutral on the version without the circle, love the pink though, good job!

Thanks guys.

I tried the smaller circle. I think this is now totally unbalanced. I feel like the circle is suffocating the symbol.

monogram-extend-03-03.png

... also I have no idea why my images are shrinking with every post! Ha, trying to make me disappear.

I think I prefer the latest one, but with the bigger circle. For me, the extra space around the shape in the middle gives it room to breath. I'm not keen on the 'name goes here' font, or size. Perhaps that's because in all of images uploaded it just says name goes here, as apposed to your name. Fancy uploading a couple with your actual name in there?

I'm still preferring the middle version in post 5. Might be worth running off a quick business card/letterhead mock up to give it some context and help make your decision.

I think I prefer the latest one, but with the bigger circle. For me, the extra space around the shape in the middle gives it room to breath. I'm not keen on the 'name goes here' font, or size. Perhaps that's because in all of images uploaded it just says name goes here, as apposed to your name. Fancy uploading a couple with your actual name in there?

I agree on the bigger circle. I like the breathing room.

No, sorry - I'm not too keen on uploading my full name. I'm not even sure I want it on there so I haven't paid much attention to it. The fact I want it so small probably highlights how I don't want it at all but think it might be necessary given my aim is to brand my name and get my name out there. That being said the monogram will never really be out of context. The main places it will go will be business card, website, blog and Twitter all of which will have my name.

If I was to include it I think that's a whole new exercise - I'm keen on getting this monogram settled first.

I'm still preferring the middle version in post 5. Might be worth running off a quick business card/letterhead mock up to give it some context and help make your decision.

Good idea. I think I am also liking the original more.

Thanks for your feedback guys! At least I've now eliminated all and am down to one! The first one was the one I loved and the one that has also gotten the most support!

You should just remove the line 'name goes here' all together then, until you're happy with the monogram at least.

You're not sure you want it and havn't paid attention to it. The problem is, it looks exactly that. At the moment, the text and monogram don't go together.

I like the KT better but if you really just want to have a monogram with only the K, I think the one with no circle on it. Either the black or the pink one. :) I hope it helps. I'm not a professional but I just thought you would like some feedback from a mediocre joe.

Back