Favicon Help

Mr J

I'm trying to change my favicon in my address bar on my website but it doesn't seem to be working?

1. used a favicon generator to get an image and uploaded this image to a host.
favicon-3.jpg

(Not much for the heart, but it'll do for now!)

2. Got the Direct ULR code

3. Replaced this code between the apostrophes
<link href='ICON FILE URL' rel='shortcut icon'/>

making my new code-
<link href='http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb91/joluvspics/favicon-3.jpg' rel='shortcut icon'/>

4. Website tutorials suggest I place this text like so into the HTML settings of my site.
Picture2-3.png

Thats what i'v done and its not working! What am I doing wrong? :mad:

Picture1-7.png

all mine says in the <head> section is
Code:
<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="[URL="http://www.designforums.co.uk/view-source:http://imageresolutions.co.uk/favicon.ico"]/favicon.ico[/URL]">
you also need the file to be a .ico format not .jpg. The online favicon generator should have dealt with that for you - I used this one

Hi Josella,

As Levi said yes. Basically create a 16x16 graphic and save it either at root or at images directory of where your site is. Now...if you like you can create the favicon as a gif, jpg or whatever.

But....

Once you take the file to the server make sure you remove the extention (.png, .gif) to .ico has explained above. You then just need to set the correct file path for the icon after <a href="yourfilepath/favicon.ico"

Example below.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />

ahh! that must be why, i saved it to a jpeg after I generated the Favicon.
I'll try your link Levi and see how I go on...

According to Blogspot.com tutorials- "save the image/icon in the root directory of your blog site- there is no way this can be done. If you try to upload an icon image, Blogger will reject it. Any file that is uploaded will not go into the Blogger root directory. They say the only alternative method is to use a host."

...and its this that is the problem i'm confused about. The icon generator automatically generates it as a GIF. Not ICO. The host i'm using (photobucket) will not let me upload it as a GIF. (Hense why I earlier re-saved it to JPEG)

So how do I get it on a host as a GIF if it won't let me? is there another file to save it as? Levi said I need the file to be ico format- I can't see an option for ICO and the generator hasn't saved it as that?
Take a look at my screenshot

Picture1-11.png

As far as I knew a favicon could be a .png, .gif or .ico...? All the sites I've added favicons on I've just done them as .png's

You can use a gif as a favicon - the problem you are probably having is that it takes a while to update! If you try and open your site in a browser that hasn't visited it before, you should be able to see the favicon.

Hi people!
Sorry it took me a long while to get back to this post but i've only just found time to return to the tackling of this problem on my blog!

Good news it was easily mended! (I searched through numerous tutorials until I found a decent one with correct coding advice)

Thanks for your help anyways! :)

Back