Fantastic Wildlife Photography

Krey20

This link is to a showcase of Nick Brandt Photography.

YOUNG GALLERY

It's some of the most amazing wildlife photography I've seen in a long time. His books have been added to my wanted list!

Please add other good links to this thread.

Wow, some amazing images there, bet they'd look great on canvas.
Favourite has to be...

05_Elephants-%26-Egrets-After-St.jpg

Ok I'm going to probably be slaughtered for this comment.

I don't actually think the 'photographs' are anything overly special, they've been done loads of times before. The only reason the final results are as impressive as they are is down to the post processing of the images. Just about all the pictures on that page have some sort of burning or soft focusing effect done to them, if this was done by hand (ie developed and then processed etc) then I will be impressed as hand processing is a dying art but I suspect that it was done on a computer.

Why does how something is achieved make the final result more or less impressive?
I also think the photographs themselves are impressive, Brandt seems to have an excellent compositional eye and a sensitivity towards the subjects.
I'm not related to the guy or anything, I just think these are particularity excellent examples of work.

The reason I would be more impressed by hand processing etc is the sheer amount of time it takes to perfect the skills and the effects, its not like pressing a few buttons on a pc, I'm sure 90% of the designers on this site could replicate either an identical or similar effect to the images in photoshop, how many people (even in photography circles) do you know could do it by hand, I only know of a couple.

The are plenty of photos out there which have the same sensitivity and composition as many of those photos just without the added post processing. In my view the photos would be no better than any other wildlife photo if it wasn't for the post processing and the same can be said in reverse, many of the non processed images can be given the same enhancements to bring them 'alive' a bit more.

I like the Zebra's, very good. When I get some spare money I am getting my Hamilton photo put on canvas I got qouted £140 in Eldon Square, is that expensive? Does anyone know someone decent and cheap?

What size canvas are you looking to get Glen? There's quite a few companies that now sell them online, you might be able to find somewhere cheaper (depending on size/quality)

glenwheeler said:
I like the Zebra's, very good. When I get some spare money I am getting my Hamilton photo put on canvas I got qouted £140 in Eldon Square, is that expensive? Does anyone know someone decent and cheap?

Alright Glen, we do canvases, what size were you looking for for £140

Let me know, happy to help and do a good DF discount.

Tom

chrismitchell said:
LOL @ Tom.. I thought it would be something like that :D

Seriously though :D I like a good haggle and would be happy to offer a good discount depending on size etc. to regular users with a decent post count :D

chrismitchell said:
number of posts = pounds off discount :D :lol:

:rolleyes: i was just sitting in traffic thinking you'd say that, not quite what i meant, if that was the case with you two I'd be paying you to work for you :D

LOL @ Tom :) well we could always get a complete set done for the total posts :p

Back