Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Family Tree

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by gprovan, Oct 21, 2011.

1. gprovan

gprovan Member

Hi All,

I've been commissioned to digitally create a family tree from a hand written monstrosity of a thing. Without having to learn a new bit of family tree software, does anyone have any time-saving tips for creating this in inDesign before I get stuck into it?

G :icon_dunno:
  2. Moominbaby

Moominbaby Member

I've never made a family tree but I make a lot of tables and charts using indesign, maybe just make sure you've got as much set up on the style guides as possible, that always saves me a heap of time.
    Sorry thats all I've got :)

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Hi G.

I've researched and designed my family tree before - got back to the 1600's! I found Illustrator worked well. I could add as many lines and tables as I liked. Then when it was finished it was easily send-able to a large format printer to be printed. I think it came in at A0 size once printed out.

So yea, Illustrator for me.
  4. Minuteman Press

Minuteman Press Moderator

If the artwork dimensions become excessive - may be worth splitting into 5 - 4 grandparent lines, plus recent. Another vote for InDesign.
  5. Katedesign

Katedesign Well-Known Member

I've done mine also - Indesign gets my vote!
  6. gprovan

gprovan Member

Having never recreated one of these before I thought it would just be an hours work. Boy was I wrong!

I'm having to go back to the client to tell them it'll be a fair bit more. Compounded with this is the fact that the original hand-written copy is unintelligible.

Luckily it's through a third party so I won't have to be the one to break the good news ;-)