• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Facelift for My Site - ForTheLose.org

Ralph23

Hey guys.

About 5 days ago or so I released a new Wordpress theme for my site ForTheLose.org. I mst admit, I think I've finally settled on a design I made that I like (this is V5, lol).

I tried to pay attention to white space and just a clean, non-cluttered look.

Critique away!

Greg

Hey Ralph,

I really like the site, nice use of subtle textures/gradients, easy to read and follow, one small suggestion I would have is to make the banner images you have for each post the full width of that area, I know you have them centered with the titles above, but just feel it would bring it all together a bit more. Other than that great job & looks like you have some decent content on there too.

HTH
Greg

I could've sworn I've seen your site before, but I'm pretty sure if I had I'd have remembered it. I love it. ;D

Just a few quibbles:

• the header area (although lovely) seems kind of flat. I think I'd like it better if the grey was darker and there was some sort of texture on the brown (but that part's really more personal taste).
  • also, the text in the speechbubble—kind of hard to read, and it might look better if you chose: a slab serif, or a font with a higher x-height, or something bolder and clearer.
  • I was kind of disappointed, too, that the blue words in the speechbubble weren't links, because they look like they're intended to be clicked on.
  • I have to agree with Greg that the post banners should be as wide as the post headers. It's a great idea, though. All the post banners look quite nice—I was hoping one of them would lead to a tutorial on how to make them. ^^
  • the Categories/Popular Posts/Stats tabs look a bit off translucent like that. I think having them a partly opaque white would look better, because otherwise the tab labels are just kind of floating around on the background.
Your site reminds me that I really have to figure out Flash.

Ralph23

Thanks guys for the comments and suggestions. I took your idea of making the text in the speech bubble real text and fixing the font. Much better now, thanks. Better for SEO too.

Greg

That speech bubble looks much neater now Ralph, nice job :)

Just a passing thought I had, to make the header graphic a bit more relevant you could try changing the paint/colour splashes on the right to the Flash and Wordpress logos stamped onto the brown background, almost like a leather indent of the logos in this sort of style...

Just a quick idea really! It might not look as good as I imagine in reality! lol

Ralph23

Hey, I actually liked that idea and kinda modified it a bit. Nothing big at all, but it kinda gives a purpose to the splats now. Except for that green and yellow one, I have no idea what to do with them.