Embedding a video file - best way for accessibility?

Yeah i've seen big dog, really nice bit of kit, their automated buggy version does the same but can carry more weight, the recon robot is pretty impressive next gen version of the big dog but smaller, basically gets lobbed into a building and can climb stairs and stuff with built in camera to check out houses.

I know the Americans have got battle robots on patrol in Iraq for the last year and a bit, but check this out ~
YouTube - South Korea's Machine Gun Sentry Robot

All automated and from the Koreans.
But the best bit of kit must be the next gen battle glove.

Basically it runs water around the glove which our body then uses to regulate our body temperature. Cold water for hot climates, warm water for cold climates. Again designed for troops in hot climates so they don't overheat and thus can perform better, but amazing for skiers, and mt climbers it will be a right life saver.

Yeah awesome pod, you by any chance seen or heard about the Israeli's Arrow system now thats quality anti BM/ICBM stuff.

Ahh! That is amazing! I actually sat there watching vids for a good half hour there..Im now a little bit interested in robots :)

@Emma
If you like robots check out azuza, I think that's it's name, similar to this ~
YouTube - Hitachi EMIEW

But it's 3ft tall, walks and does offices jobs such as photocopying and delivering the post, been in some Japanese offices for the past 2-3 years.

@Sunburn

The arrow system is that the 1 that detects if missiles and rockets are being fired at the vehicle it is attached to and then fires off an intercepting missile to destroy it in mid flight so it doesn't hit the vehicle it is protecting?

Have you seen the Americans new artillery?
It has an effective kill range of 150miles can be fired off in any direction as each shell has built in GPS that can re adjust to find the target. The shells can also be reprogrammed mid flight to hit another target. Then when it finds the target the damage is confined to the target area to cut down on collateral damage.

Or the new Thermitebarret bombs, could be wrong on the name, used to clear out whole mt. tunnel networks. It's that powerful that it's the shock wave that kills ppl and it uses the tunnel network to focus the shock wave. The shock wave is that powerful that it literally splinters a human body into tiny pieces. Again to fight insurgents in caves, mad or what?

If you really want to see something amazing type in invisibility into youtube.
Most of them are not computer tricks either, there is at least 4 different universities working on it 1 in japan, 1 in the UK, 1 in the states and 1 in Spain, and 1 of the phone providers is going to use a variation of it to pretty hide buildings, not from sight but so they can increase their mobile signal strengths.

Check out the invisibility jacket, now that is mad.

azuza is on my christmas list :D

and i saw the invisibility jacket - 0_0 .. impressive. but still wont stop 2012 :p

@jaz - can i be boring and ask about your code you posted earlier? in the flash file, where i include the link back to my html file (<a href="../index.html?html=yes">) , do i also include the external javascript file as in the head of each of my html pages? I'm doing that and its going a bit funky, quite expectedly because its redirecting to the same place over and over! but i dont know how <a href="../index.html?html=yes"> would associate itself with the php/javascript part in the head section of each html page, as theyre in a totally diff directory for a start..

maybe its too late and im just confusing myself..

Emma

I'm doing that, confusing myself hence why I'm about to go off to bed, but it should be like this.
<object...
<a href="http://www.designforums.co.uk/index.html?html=yes">

Not entirely sure where the JavaScript has come from TBH sweets.

Then on index.html you place the redirect to the flash site if the html variable isn't present and ideally a cookie isn't present as well it redirects to the flash version.

hiya, wow i read that just before i went to bed and my head almost exploded hah i think when my body says no to work at 1am i should listen to it..

Here is your original post that I followed:

I was talking about the site you linked to as you said you wanted something similar and that site is done in flash TBH.

Point you to a link errr....
I could or I could write something myself for you.
Now I tend not to play around a lot with flash and this will tend to be off the cuff but try this, let me know if you get an error and try it x-browser as well.

<script type="text/javascript">
if (navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash"]){
window.location='http://www.yoursite.com/flash/flash.html';
}
</script>

Now as far as I can remember that should detect if flash is installed if it is redirect the user to the your flash version, if not load the html version. But you would have to get creative as in if someone clicks the html version and they have JavaScript enabled and flash installed they would get redirected back to the flash version.

To do that add a variable and test for it and set a cookie and test for that as well, so something like ~
<a href="htmlversion?html=yes">Our HTML version</a>

<?php
$html=$_GET['html'];
if(!empty($html) && $html=="yes" || isset($_COOKIE['html'])){
if(!isset($_COOKIE['html']){
setcookie("html","yes");
}
?>

<script type="text/javascript">
if (navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash"]){
window.location='http://www.yoursite.com/flash/flash.html';
}
</script>

<?php }?>

That way ppl with out flash installed, the search engines and ppl who chose the html version will get the html version, everyone else gets the flash version.

Now make the JavaScript file external and thus cache-able, place it in a js directory and then create a blank text file call it robots.txt and in there place this ~

User-agent: *
Disallow: /js/

Then upload it to your root directory.
That way the search engines will ignore it.

Now a word to the wise make sure the html version is exact and the only thing different is the animation otherwise you may get penalized for cloaking if it does not.

Jaz

Key:
Red ~ JavaScript
Dark green ~ PHP
Dark red ~ Robots.txt
Sienna ~ XHTML
The external javascript file (your javascript above) works fine when added to one of the html sites - it redirects to the flash one fine for me. Heres what it looks like in my site:

Code:
[COLOR=DarkGreen]<?php $html=$_GET['html'];if(!empty($html) && $html=="yes" || isset($_COOKIE['html'])){if(!isset($_COOKIE['html']){setcookie("html","yes");}?>[/COLOR] [COLOR=Red]<script type="text/javascript" src="../js/flashdetect.js">[/COLOR] [COLOR=DarkGreen]<?php }?>[/COLOR]

and my external javascript file like this:

Code:
[COLOR=Red]if (navigator.plugins["Shockwave Flash"]){window.location=[B]'http://www.vnmmusic.com/flash/index.html'[/B];}[/COLOR]

I was wondering when i include this link in one of the flash sites, and the user still has flash but just wants a quick and easy version so clicks this:

<a href="../index.html?html=yes">Our HTML version</a>

how itd be ensured that the user didnt just get redirected and then back again to the flash site, and if i needed to add anything else to my flash page alongside this link to make sure this works?

<?php
if(isset($_GET['html'])){
if(!isset($_COOKIE['html']){
setcookie("html","yes");
} if(!isset($_GET['html']) && !isset($_COOKIE['html'])){?>
<script type="text/javascript" src="../js/flashdetect.js">
<?php }?>

Hay change it to this that way if they come off the flash site they won't get redirected.

That html link goes on all your flash pages.

You may also want to put a link on your html version pointing to your flash version. Again you need to make sure both copies are identical content wise.

If you run into a problem let me know.

Jaz

Hi jaz, thanks - okay, so i put that php in my html sites in the head where it currently is, and the link on each flash site - sounds simple enough :)

but it should be like this.
<object...
<a href="http://www.designforums.co.uk/index.html?html=yes">
Does this mean i should use a full URL rather than a relative path??

x

Don't have to.
If you have a directory structure like this ~
root
|
html file
|
html file
|-----------flash/
---------------|-----flash home

Then the html link on flash home would just have to
<a href="../html.file">View our non interactive version</a>

And the link on the html pages would be ~
<a href="flash/flash-home">View our interactive version</a>

Bare in mind if they are on the flash version of your contact page the link to the html version should point to the static contact page and not the static home page.

Okay - just so im totally clear (going to test it after the change and want to make sure i got it completely..)

I just write in the link as I would normally, except with ?html=yes on the end, back to the html index page, like this:

Code:
[COLOR=Red][/COLOR][COLOR=Sienna]<a href="../index.html?html=yes">Our HTML version</a>

i think i got a bit confused earlier as you said i should use a full url - http://..etc

My brother now wants a Korean military robot for Christmas. hah.
[/COLOR]

Yeah so do I, keep the chavs from keying my car again, lol.

Yeah the html=yes is a get variable which passes to the following page and can then be used to change the page being linked to. In this case to test to make sure they came from the interactive version.

Bare in mind both versions need to be the same content wise, can't stress that enough.

I would also change the link to say Our non interactive version and the link on the static pages to be Our interactive version.

I mean how many ppl know what html is?
Will it download something on my computer I clicked a .pd something the other day and it tried to, I said no though. God this Internet is a scary place. Why should I need to click on a html version? What's a html? I'm at work will that do something to the works computer that I will get in trouble for? You have to think like your most basic user not in a way that everyone is as clever as you and know what simple terms like that mean.

People who don't no will be put off Non-interactive version gets rid of those questions a user would have and thus make it more clickable and thus your site more usable. Does that make sense?

Yeah so do I, keep the chavs from keying my car again, lol.

I'd try a dog first :p i know what you mean though i had a nice fresh egg to look at thru the window halloween just gone..

okay heh thanks, and yep i thought to change the mention of html aswell..

so the link with ?html=yes has to be a full url not a relative path?

and i have pasted that bit of php/javascript in like this:

Code:
<!-- detect flash player, redirect if present --><?php if(isset($_GET['html'])){if(!isset($_COOKIE['html']){setcookie("html","yes");} if(!isset($_GET['html']) && !isset($_COOKIE['html'])){?><script type="text/javascript" src="../js/flashdetect.js">[B]</script>[/B]<?php }?><!-- end flash player detect and redirect -->

i added the </script> bit after direct copy and paste from your post, just want to make sure thats right.. id assume so because it kinda wasnt working when it wasnt there heh but not sure

hope you had a good weekend :)

Had a good weekend?
I wish I almost cut 2 fingers off when I tried to take my cap off my razor, now a couple of, I Iike to think of them as recent x friends, say I'm being a tad melodramatic, I mean please, okay granted didn't need a band aid but my bath room could have easily fit into a scene out of saving private Ryan, there was like soooooo much blood it was unreal, well okay not that bad, but not far off. Apart from that yeah not too bad.

Just link to the file as you would normally and then stick the ?html=yes on the end, it doesn't really matter TBF.

Ahh that sounds bad! Im the same - when theres even the tiniest drop of blood! But im worse cause girls scream..so you get the scene plus the sounds from a horror movie :D

Thanks for making that link thing clear :)

Get yourself a cast and sling for those wounded fingers :D

Back