Do you use Flash anymore?

That's very interesting, I've never heard of this point of view before; your preference has been determined by the software? So if Illustrator had InDesign's interface and Indesign had Illustrator's interface, do you think your preference would be more of the page layout discipline?

Great discussion guys! :)

I suppose so.

To be honest, I do slightly lean towards illustration naturally anyway - but the interface things I mentioned definitely factor heavily in that preference too.

I do both from day to day, but if Illustrator were more geared to handling large documents/efficiently managing raster assets (as with InDesign) I would maybe opt to use it instead.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing InDesign - it's a quality piece of software. There's just something about it that doesn't feel as intuitive about it to me. It probably just boils down to experience levels and the fact that I've grown up with Illustrator (through virtually every CS version) and have come to learn InDesign later in life. Not sure.

Yes - all tools for specific purpose - problem is people use the wrong tools for the purpose, and that's the problem.

InDesign is completely different to Illustrator - and it's always been that Illy and Photoshop are companions to InDesign, not the other way around.

Yeah, absolutely. It would be absurd to cross their intended uses and try to, for example: 'doctor a photo in InDesign, or rely on Photoshop to paginate a phone directory' etc..

Personally however, I wouldn't view any of them as companion programmes as such - simply because they are all capable of operating and outputting independently, and still be within the remit of their intended usage. They have far more operating scope outside of just generating assets to serve InDesign.

Of course - I didn't intend to suggest otherwise, although looking back I can see that's what I said - but I meant from my standpoint and usage, based on other comments that InDesign was not their cuppa tea, but in fact preferred to use Illy and PS to meet their ends - I just wanted to counter that ideology.

Of I can create print ready artwork from almost all software, including MS Office - Publsisher, Word and Powerpoint - and I can create print ready artwork from Illustrator and Photoshop - and of course I can create all sorts of assets from InDesign to bring to illustrator/photoshop, as I can vice versa etc.

That's fair. It's really good to get an idea of everyone's workflow/preference. It's curious how people (me among them) favour certain methods and programmes - even when if flies in the face of intended purpose.

Perhaps we should all step outside and settle this the old way, the way graphic designers always have, by going back inside and playing GoldenEye!

In the era of Photoshop, in design, after effects, Illustrator Flash is just a fictional story.

Something about that sounds very deep.

Looking back at it, the laying/vector drawing interface shared a lot with early Illustrator. Probably (someone feel free to shoot me down here if this is a load of rubbish) the first mainstream software that catered for advanced vector key frame tween animation (even back in the Macromedia days).

Does it predate After Effects' graph based keyframes/rate of change tweening?

This thread sums up how obsolete it is, but I think it was a bit of a beast in it's brief heyday.

I feel like the odd one out as I don't have a preference as such, although I know what software(s) I am more proficient and experienced with, it has no impact on my preference. In fact, if I really had to choose one, I'd go for Adobe AfterEffect and I am least skilled with that software by a country mile!

In reality, I prefer to use Adobe Photoshop for when I am photo editing or doing some sort of photo manipulation, Adobe Indesign for when I'm putting together multiple page layouts, Adobe Illustrator for when I need to work in vector (pretty much always) etc, etc... I could use Photoshop to do a bit of motion graphics but I prefer to use Adobe AfterEffects for that as that is what it is made for :)

Yeah, I'm still an After Effects novice, but find it's a dream to use. I actually find it to be very similar to Photoshop in terms of interface.

Flash is dead, Long live Flash.
Apple started the war on Flash for it's many backdoors baddies used and today only Firefox and Chrome support it and I think both have said they'll stop supporting flash content in 2017.

I think most flash guys move over to java+htm5.

I've made one of the most popular flash apps ever. With more than 2 billion hits up til 2015.
The Graffiti Creator. http://www.graffiticreator.net

It's old, outdated and I let it stay that way until it's final breath. But tkae a look, play around with it while you still can.

The issue with flash is that it isn't supported by modern browsers. So if you visit a website featuring flash elements on Chrome or Firefox, you will get a message that flash elements could not be loaded or that you need to download a program to be able to view the elements. This is definitely something that will put people off from using flash.

Back