Do I need a graphic design degree?

timd

Hello.

I have spent the last 10 years working in finance and I am sick of it. I don't care about trying to make big money anymore, I just want a job that I enjoy. I'm 32 years old. Recently I went back to my roots and rekindled my love for drawing and have really got back into it. I've decided that I want to try and use my talent for drawing and creativity to get into the creative industry.. Something I should have done a long time ago.

I would like to build a portfolio for graphic design and apply for jobs at graphic design agencies, starting as a junior or intern, but I have no graphic design degree... Am I likely to get turned away because of this? 10 years ago I acquired a degree in product design so I do have a 'creative' degree but not in graphic design unfortunately...

What are my chances finding work in the UK once I have a portfolio and assuming that it is of a decent standard?

A product design degree will probably serve you just as well, if not better than one in graphic design, to be honest. You may find this different background is a way into work as you have a slightly different set of skills and ways of thinking than graphics graduates. Most studios will only care about your work, not whether or not you have a qualification so I'd focus on getting a portfolio built up and asking for placements in studios to build a network. Most graduates get a job in the industry via a placement so it's worth getting to know people who can help you.

This question is asked quite a lot. Have a search of the forums and you'll find some posts asking the same sort of questions.

Best thing to do would be to put together a portfolio and just ask studios and agencies for critiques. 10 minutes with an art director or senior designer doing through your work will probably tell you a great deal. You may find you need to explore new areas and brush up on typography skills and the such-like, but you'll be in a great position to request a re-crit a few months down the line when you've improved.

How can I put it...
IMO you don't need a degree but that doesn't mean you don't need to learn fundamentals though. I'm seeing so many 'graphic designers', you know the ones who 'own' photoshop, putting out work, that clients seem to like, that breaks so many fundamental rules like kerning, white space and the likes. It gets a little depressing seeing just how far the 'art form' of graphic design has fallen in some cases.

Exactly as Paul says.

I say this because of personal experience.
Many designers (or whatever) start out doing one thing as then do a sideways shift to another area.

Sorry to those that have heard this before.

I studied Graphic Design, worked in that area for a few years but then left it all together.
I still loved design but I was fed up with the jobs that were available at the time in my location.
After doing non design stuff and some travelling for a few years I decided to go back to design.

I'd been away from it for about six years at the age of 31 and computers had taken over by then.
I bought a Mac and started to learn the software.
I set myself projects to learn on with the intention of building a portfolio which I did.
I'd always enjoyed illustration so I included some of that as well.

Once I knew my way around Photoshop and Macromedia Freehand and I had a folio I started to look for a job and landed one at a printers.
It was shite but I learned LOADS and as I didn't want to stay there I saw all the things I did as potential portfolio pieces.

From there I knew I wanted to be an Illustrator so I geared my folio that way.
Anyway, got a job at a greetings company which allowed me to do a lot of illustration work but I also worked on my own stuff as well and got it out there on the net.
Eventually people started picking up on this and I started to get my freelance gigs until I got to the point where I became freelance.

That's me in a nut shell.
Like you I got back into the creative industry in my early 30's.
I found my portfolio and work to be WAY more important than my qualifications.
I thought myself the software before there was all the resources on the internet that there is today.
I'm pretty lazy and not that confident.
If I can do it then I'm sure you can.

My advice would be to set yourself projects and build a folio.
Try to make it cover all the bases but if you like doing or are stronger at a certain thing then gear it that way.
You said you enjoyed drawing so maybe illustration may be your thing?

Illustration and illustrative design skills are quite sought after.

very good idea if you know graphic design then it is better for your future btw no matter you have degree or not mostly people only mark your work so start building superb portfolio.

To add.

Agree with Levi about the fundamentals.
Not as much fun to learn but very important.

You can always use this forum to post your work to get some pointers.
Be prepared for what can feel like a harsh critique though.
(@Levi doesn't hold any punches especially) ;)
It's all constructive criticism though.

I've seen people post very mediocre work that has ended up being really good after taking some advice.

Maybe you're like me. I'm normally just too busy to write detailed critiques and just get straight to the point. I worry sometimes it looks like I'm being blunt but in all honesty I have other things I want to be doing :p

Personally I think @Levi and @Paul Murray are two of the most helpful and knowledgable members of the forum and offer excellent advice where they can.

Some people can take constructive criticism to heart and get quite offended by it which is understandable if you don't.... well.... understand how it is.

Criticism is something every designer needs to understand is just part of the job.
If you can't take it then you should be doing something else.

Point in case was a few months ago a couple of new members posted logos they'd made and asked for advice.
At first they seemed mortified by the response until they realised it was well meant and constructive.
Once they 'd licked their wounds and took the advice, implemented it they ended up with pretty killer designs.

Fact is it does take time and thought to write a post and offer advice on design and it can seem blunt when you need to cut to the chase and get the point across.

nd here I'd thought I'd mellowed :p

People need to understand that once through that cold, bitter, soulless (and as some say) evil exterior there lies a beautiful, caring and loving interior full or rainbows and unicorns and nice things written in Comic Sans. ;)

People need to understand that once through that cold, bitter, soulless (and as some say) evil exterior there lies a beautiful, caring and loving interior full or rainbows and unicorns and nice things written in Comic Sans. ;)

... and lens flare. Loads and loads of lens flare.

Maybe you're like me. I'm normally just too busy to write detailed critiques and just get straight to the point. I worry sometimes it looks like I'm being blunt but in all honesty I have other things I want to be doing :p
Not to mention we're probably even 'blunter' with our own critiques too. I have to say I personally hate it when a client 'dodges' around just saying they don't like something and I normally say to them that I prefer my clients to be blunt and to the point if they don't like something, it saves time and ultimately saves them money because once you get to a set point theres no going back without redoing stuff and that incurs extra expenses.

I'm the opposite, I prefer them to just accept what I've done so I can get paid :p
Unfortunately not all customers are that way... I'm lucky most of mine do like what I do straight away or just need minor adjustments like camera angle/material choice which is one of the steps in the process I work to for clients. But sometimes you get that type of customer that has this 'idea in their head' of what they want, can't really put into words we need to translate what they tell us into an image... which doesn't always work first time lol

Exactly as Paul says.

My advice would be to set yourself projects and build a folio.
Try to make it cover all the bases but if you like doing or are stronger at a certain thing then gear it that way.
You said you enjoyed drawing so maybe illustration may be your thing?

Illustration and illustrative design skills are quite sought after.

Thanks for your reply. I would actually prefer to be an illustrator over graphic designer however I think it would take me a while to develop and get my own style really honed in. I think the best idea would for me to do a portfolio for mainly graphic design and some illustration. I thought it was harder to get work as an illustrator than graphic designer?

I think if you're going to re-invent your career then I'd be inclined to invent what you want to do.
Granted, Graphic Design in general is easier to break into but illustration skills would be a bonus to any employer.

I never really set out to be an Illustrator and I still call myself a Designer/Illustrator (Desillustrator). ;)
I kind of just drifted that way.

Back