Dissertation Questions

SarahAWilson

Hi there I am currently in my 4th year of university and in desperate need of primary research for my dissertation.
My subject is “Propaganda and Social Responsibility in Design”

If anyone working within the creative industries would have 5 minutes to answer some quick questions it would be amazing and greatly appreciated!

If you work in a Design Acency -

1 - Working within an agency do you have a list of rules or a code of conduct that you have to follow?

2 - Do you feel that working in an agency limits your creativity and if so in what way?

3 - Who do you think the responsibility falls to, the individuals, the clients or the agency to be conscious of what work you produce?

4 - Have you ever come across any ethical issues while working on a project?

If you are freelance -

1 - As a freelance creative do you have your own ethical standards that you follow?

2 - Do you feel that as a freelancer you have more or less creative control?

3 - Do you feel that the responsibility falls to you or to the client?

4 - Have you ever refused to do work due to an issue of this nature?

1 - As a freelance creative do you have your own ethical standards that you follow?

I'd refuse to work on a project that I found compromised my own personal beliefs or I didn't agree with.

I feel I have much more control verses working in house. I work either directly with the client or via an agency and although delivering what the brief asks for is very important, I'm not afraid of advising a different approach if I feel it would improve a project.

It depends on the project but generally speaking I'd say it's 50/50.
That being said, once I hand over a project, what the client does with it is ultimately their responsibility.

I have.

I'd refuse to work on a project that I found compromised my own personal beliefs or I didn't agree with.

I feel I have much more control verses working in house. I work either directly with the client or via an agency and although delivering what the brief asks for is very important, I'm not afraid of advising a different approach if I feel it would improve a project.

It depends on the project but generally speaking I'd say it's 50/50.
That being said, once I hand over a project, what the client does with it is ultimately their responsibility.

I have.

Thank you so much for your response. It is really appreciated!!

Yes, I try and only work with clients who respect me and other creative individuals. I won't rip-off work or do something that undermines or negates another's work (such as removing watermarks from unlicensed images or recreating a design cheaper).

Depends who I'm working for. On the whole, yes, people come to me for creative input, but sometimes I'm taking over a pre-defined creative approach from a studio or a previous designer.

Not 100% sure I understand the question? If a client asked me to produce work that used an image or motif that was in poor taste, I'd probably suggest it's a bad idea to do that. Whether or not I went through with the work would depend entirely on the situation and what I was asked to do, but in that case the final outcome would be the responsibility of the client.

I reserve the right to turn down work for whatever reason. I haven't encountered a situation where I've needed to based on an ethical or moral issue I disagree with yet though.

Yes, I try and only work with clients who respect me and other creative individuals. I won't rip-off work or do something that undermines or negates another's work (such as removing watermarks from unlicensed images or recreating a design cheaper).

Depends who I'm working for. On the whole, yes, people come to me for creative input, but sometimes I'm taking over a pre-defined creative approach from a studio or a previous designer.

Not 100% sure I understand the question? If a client asked me to produce work that used an image or motif that was in poor taste, I'd probably suggest it's a bad idea to do that. Whether or not I went through with the work would depend entirely on the situation and what I was asked to do, but in that case the final outcome would be the responsibility of the client.

I reserve the right to turn down work for whatever reason. I haven't encountered a situation where I've needed to based on an ethical or moral issue I disagree with yet though.

Thank you so much for answering my questions this really helps!

Back