Disabilities and web stats- can anyone help??

Personally I would say any site.
1 in 7 ppl have something wrong with their eyes to some degree, so it's not limited to any certain group, as in if your site is a code based blog for writing firefox extensions for example you could write off coding for IE6 and IE7 as you know your users wont use it, however it's not as easy as that as everyone be it chavs to geeks can have the same problem with their eyes.

So I look at it as in that's 1 in 7 of my users regardless of the site.

Thing is it's only 1 simplified CSS sheet with certain areas made more bigger, certain background images removed and links clearer so it's only really adds 30hour development time on. I personally added a php test so if you follow links on the zoom version you still get the zoom version , on the next page, saves the user clicking it and then having to reclick to get the version they can read and use now that would take time on a already larger site and you would have to think of a better solution for an existing site that was big so it's best to be implemented from the start TBH.

My mother-in-law is all most blind without her glasses and she read that fine with out her glasses on, so it makes a huge difference, she had massive issues reading the graphical version and couldn't even read certain sections.

Now if one of those areas is an important call to action you've just lost business you know because they couldn't read it.

The thing about any version that's good for a minority is best practise is it is placed at the top in either the left or the right, otherwise how do they know you offer it?

Also you notice the link especially as it stands out, now IMO perfectly sighted users wont mind that, if I stuck it in the footer as the same colour as the other links and they have issues reading those links anyway then they wont see it or use and just leave, so it needs to be apparent. You could stick it in a capital A with a label saying font size: as that's becoming pretty much known for changing text to a larger font, then when they get the more easier version to read they might think wow was not expecting the effort nice as most sites don't offer it and TBH it's been something I've only been doing for 6months just taken me a while to update this site as I knew it needed a bit of work and I had paid work on so.....

The other best practise which I disagree with is to call the link high contrast, now I asked my mother in law, the lowest common denominator you need to design websites for, :D if that was apparent what that would lead to and she had no idea, so I ran some terms passed her and that one was the one she would click on and TBH the most obvious so I'm going to personally change some old work, if I get permission. to match that in a bit as well.

Anyhoo going to give it an hour and then do the whole lot again now it's on-line, I like to be thorough, so any issues you spot, you shouldn't, let me know that would be great. :)

→ Roger Needle, window cleaners in Sutton Coldfield and Birmingham
Jaz

Thanks for showing me Jaz, Roger needles is probably one of the most stylish window cleaning websites ive seen :) I really like it. I did a construction website quite some time ago:

Curtis Construction Services Ltd. | Welcome

I think i made the mistake of over bloke-ifying it and not making it nice to look at at all come to think of it. Then my next building/construction site looked a bit too flouncy.. hm.

I personally added a php test so if you follow links on the zoom version you still get the zoom version , on the next page, saves the user clicking it and then having to reclick to get the version they can read and use now

thats a good point - would another way to do it be adding a css class to your normal navigation of 'display:none;' and a seperate navigation with links to all the zoom pages to be visible?

Wonder how people get round this on larger sites. Ive never actually seen a site with a link to a zoom stylesheet since this thread hah.

Emma

Ive never actually seen a site with a link to a zoom stylesheet since this thread
I haven't TBH I've seen ones that change page size on the page, but all the zoom sheets that I know are implemented are alternative style sheets that only the most modern browser can properly access, and you have to do it via changing the browser settings to override the main with the alternate and I don't think even FireFox offers it yet, if it does i couldn't find it.

On top of that I knew my mother in law wouldn't have a clue how to do it if she wasn't using IE which she does so a link IMO is better for usability makes it obvious you offer it and takes time away from them having to find out if you don't., which is time they are not thinking about the page.

TBH yeah sort of, something like this would probably be better going to be geeky now.
At the top of every page write this ~
<?php if(isset($_GET['zoom'])){ob_start("change_url")}?>

Then add a function called change_url. What ob_start basically does is parse the document before it's displayed to the user and the function you give it runs first.In the function you then write a regular expression to look for links and if 1 is found add the get variable to the end of the link, that way PHP will do it for you on the fly.

Can't be arsed to write it now as I don't need it TBH but that is probably better for big sites. :)

there is indeed! im still trying to find any site that has a zoom stylesheet link on it.. i suppose it wouldnt necessarily say 'zoom stylesheet'? would a simple print-version stylesheet do the trick? (forgive my ignorance if not..! :) )

would a simple print-version stylesheet do the trick?
That would be a white background with black text, which is actually harder to read over a dark blue colour and white text and orange links, but these are also good for people who just can't cope with complex layouts as some people just have information overload and struggle to take things in when in a graphical version.

But if the text was bigger and the links way more apparent thats what they are then it would still be better. :)

Back