Directed to anyone who has interviewed someone for a GD position

I am curious what is the most common mistakes you find designers make in interviews?
What are some of the best or worst things you have experienced a job applicant do or say?
Whats the proper attire required? Full on 3 piece suit or is that way too stuffy and serious.

I think that one view commonly held regarding attire is that it is better to overdress than to underdress.

Though it depends on the role in particular, a full-on suit is perhaps a little too much but you still want to look smart.

I've been involved in a few interviews at the last couple of places I've worked. I'd agree with dedwardp, smart but no need for a suit.

As for your other questions - by the time you've got an interview the company will already have an idea about you work from your cv/examples and portfolio site. When it comes to the face to face meeting it's more about how you would fit in with the company and you as a person rather than just your work.

The best people we have seen are those who talk about their work confidently, have passion and enthusiasm and seem genuinely friendly - you'll all be working together day after day so personality does play a part.

The worst we have seen are those who come in being cocky thinking they're the dogs bo**ocks. We've had a couple like that, the minute they leave we all have said "nice work but they'd be a nightmare to work with". Another mistake we had from one was slagging off clients and his current employers - not very professional.

I am curious what is the most common mistakes you find designers make in interviews?
What are some of the best or worst things you have experienced a job applicant do or say?
Whats the proper attire required? Full on 3 piece suit or is that way too stuffy and serious.

Well, for the person going for the interview,I would expect the employer would want to know that they know something about the company, they will also want to know what benefits that person will bring, I would suggect that dress should be smart casual.

As an employer, I see a Graphic Designer in the first instance as artistic. I would not expect an interviewee for a GD post to come overdressed, although I may appreciate the effort. I want that person to be relaxed and be prepared to answer every question honestly.

Is it safe to assume slagging off means verbally bashing?

In regards to talking about their work confidently and being cocky thinking they're the dogs bo**ocks, is it a fine line between the two? When does being confident about ones work turn into cockiness. Anyone have any examples?

smart casual but no need for a suit. What does smart casual consist of? Here in Canada even if one is going for an interview at a crappy mcdonalds for a brainless job one is expected to arrive in a full on monkey suit.

Has anyone experienced the dreaded "behavioral questions" at a graphic design interview?

In regards to talking about their work confidently and being cocky thinking they're the dogs bo**ocks, is it a fine line between the two? When does being confident about ones work turn into cockiness. Anyone have any examples?

smart casual but no need for a suit. What does smart casual consist of? Here in Canada even if one is going for an interview at a crappy mcdonalds for a brainless job one is expected to arrive in a full on monkey suit.

Has anyone experienced the dreaded "behavioral questions" at a graphic design interview?

Yeah, slagging off is to criticise and complain about them etc.

I think it's more to do with an attitude and the way you come across as much as the words you use, for example. Person A and Person B could both pretty much use the same words to describe their work but I'd say it was more about the persona they transmit.

We all know people who can be irritating in the way their self belief appears as arrogance as opposed to being a bit more quietly confident. I suppose it is a fine line but I'm sure you will be ok if you act friendly and charming etc.

Smart casual could be, say, black shoes with dark jeans, for example. I think I would tend to stick with trousers and shoes but it can depend on the role in question.

Sometimes I hold my breath hoping the candidate who has done well doesn't say something to devalue the application.

What research have you completed on the company?
Haven't had time.

What are our major products?
Don't know.

What other roles are you applying for elsewhere?
Absolutely anything. You name it!

What excites you about graphic design?
Nothing really.

What aspects of design do you most enjoy?
Nothing particularly.

What is your main motivator?
Money.

Now these answers are up for discussion - but examples of some I hope not to hear.

It's really all about capable, motivated and culture fit.

Peter x

I am sorry you didn't get the job at the crappy McDonalds but chill out a bit!!

I am sorry you didn't get the job at the crappy McDonalds but chill out a bit!!
I've never applied at a mcdonalds. Really don't know what makes you think I am all wound up and tense that I need to chill out.

-----

Very useful info Peter, what exactly do you mean by culture fit? I have noticed this term "fit' mentioned around. Makes no sense when graphic designing isn't that physically demanding like construction.

I've never applied at a mcdonalds. Really don't know what makes you think I am all wound up and tense that I need to chill out.

-----

Very useful info Peter, what exactly do you mean by culture fit? I have noticed this term "fit' mentioned around. Makes no sense when graphic designing isn't that physically demanding like construction.

It means whether or not you would fit in to the agency's culture, as opposed to meaning physically fit.

All businesses will have their own culture; style of work, ethos and so on, and it's all about seeing whether or not you would fit in and match what they currently have.

Another question in regards to all this. I was informed that junior jobs get flooded with applicants, up to 200 in one day I was told.

When you post a job up and are flooded with applicants, what fraction of the applicants are actual graduates compared to your basic wannabe's who has a hacked version of adobe?

I'll take a guess at 70%, but... you specify graduates - not the subject/s read.

200 per day is high - 200 in total yes (our experience).

Back