• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Designing a hierarchical grid

hi, I'm new to graphic design and I'm trying to figure out how to calculate an attractive heirachical grid for laying out a new website?

any pointers appreciated :icon_smile:

Thanks Corrosive that doesnt teach me how to calculate where to place hanging lines within my grid :(

thats the bit i'm struggling to figure plus how to use the golden section

Corrosive

Thanks Corrosive that doesnt teach me how to calculate where to place hanging lines within my grid :(

thats the bit i'm struggling to figure plus how to use the golden section
OK, in that case we are talking at crossed purposes. That is the only 'grid' thing I associate with web design. I clearly have no idea what 'placing hanging lines in a grid' means! Sorry 'bout that. :icon_biggrin:

np at all Corrosive, thanks for helping anyway

hanging lines is the posh way of saying horizontal lines on the grid

simple as that :icon_smile:

thanks for your help its appreciated :)

Corrosive

OK, so bear in mind I am a code monkey mainly, if you explain what you need and why you need I may be able to give a more technical answer but I don't understand the graphic design terms.

If you want a grid-like layout with varying box sizes then it can be achieved through using CSS, HTML and floats with the CSS box model actually dictating where your grid/boxes sit.

likewise :) I'm trying to get some graphic design know-how to add a bit of pizazz to my work which is rather mundane/meh for want of a better word :icon_dunno: