• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Design Week

Hello

Last week saw the last issue ever to be printed of the trade mag Design Week. It will now be available as an online version only. I suppose its all down to economics and money as usual. But this does leave the trade without a weekly printed mag which is truly sad.

Im not sure reading mags online or via a tablet device is as convenient or necessarily a improvement for the end user, sometimes you just want sit down and flick through a piece of printed material.

Just wonder what others think?

Malcolm the Artworker

- Print Artwoker - Malcolm Izatt –Essex and London 01245 357471

I'm gutted. I just subscribed and have a few sitting on my desk. I design for print, and loved getting a copy through my door each week. I'd quite happily pay more on the cover price and keep it in print - and I'm sure lots of other readers would too. There's just something about the smell of the solvents that you don't get online!

As for online content, I read tweets, short blog posts, recommended links etc, but I'll never read more than 10mins worth of content. Having a paper mag was an excuse to get away from the computer; read it over lunch, or on the loo!

It wasn't the best design mag out there, but it was pretty good.

Oh I didn't know that, have been hounded for the last 6 months to subscribe so I presume that was a last push to keep the printed version going. Have to say though much as I like the idea of getting a weekly design mag, I've never subscribed as I know I'd end up with piles of unread issues. I subscribe to CR and Computer Arts and currently have 4 unread mags to catch up on.

Personally I prefer the content of CR and CA to design week (though CR has gone down hill in the last year or more in my opinion). Being a weekly, DW seemed to have too much London-centric 'who's won what contracts' content and be half full of classifieds too often.

CR is the sister Mag to DW so I suppose the market could not sustain two trade design mags. I thinks its important to have a weekly or monthly printed mag. I have quite a few Graphis mags from the 60s, 70s and 80s and when provide a good source of reference for generating ideas when needed, something that an online mag I feel will fail to provide in the future.

Malcolm Izatt
- Print Artwoker - Malcolm Izatt –Essex and London 01245 357471