Design trends...Where is it going next?

Ritchie

Is all design looking the same to you? Are you following graphic design trends? Are you getting bored with using the same techniuqes? Is it just me or are vector graphics everywhere?
Vector graphics have always been popular but never so much as over the last few years, they are everywhere you look. Media of every kind seem to be saturated with this style.
To name a few examples

flourishes & ornaments
leaves, stems and vines decoration
background rays of light
silhouettes of people and other objects
smoky effects
ink splatters
overlapping or concentric circles of colour
shinny web buttons
Circular beveled logos
So why is this style of design so popular and why is it still going so strongly? Is it because it’s so funky and youthful and never fails capture the hearts of a new generation of designers?
Is it just because no one has managed to develop the trend? And does anyone know where will it go next?
Ritche Stewart
http://www.mintsalad.com/

This chap is obviously researching a thesis or article. And he's obviously been looking at a pretty narrow selection of graphic design recently

The increase of cheap accessible vector graphics from photo libraries has spawned a style of design. This off the shelf trend creates instant design without depth. We exist in a 'pic and mix' design society where original thought and effort is generally not cost effective or effecient. Therefore we buy ready made and mix it up, it is led by the economic feasibilty. Pic and Mix and Templates. A sad reality but true.

Well if thats the case i suspect we will see more :domo: 's

Berry said:
The increase of cheap accessible vector graphics from photo libraries has spawned a style of design. This off the shelf trend creates instant design without depth. We exist in a 'pic and mix' design society where original thought and effort is generally not cost effective or effecient. Therefore we buy ready made and mix it up, it is led by the economic feasibilty. Pic and Mix and Templates. A sad reality but true.

people used to have clipart, now they have gomedia! (if anyone from gomedia reads this, I love your stuff, please dont get offended.)

rossnorthernunion said:
Letters and colours, and some shapes, and maybe photos and things.

Remember i told you first.

Oooooh, I'll try it out and join the avant-garde!

On a more serious note, I actually think the vector-trend is fading away for a more organic look (look at the big corps like starbucks and mcDonalds, it's much more hand-written and a more natural organic look, very in vein with the rest of society

they are all trying to make themselves seem not so artificial.. but that being said.. its still the same stuff just wrapped in different pictures....

Everything in every circle of life repeats itself, just look at fashion, it comes in and out with the same styles repeating themselves but usually tweaked - never a complete copy but consider it inspiration.

My opinion on this is that its not actually "cool" to be "cool". People are always trying to invent the next new thing. As soon as somethings popular, it becomes unpopular because of that reason. Sooner of later people look back and draw inspiration from these older styles and they become reborn.

With reguards to the web, In my short snapshot (5-6 years on forums etc) its basically always been embracing new features and technology, The first major "scene" I witnessed is the 2advanced techno/futuristic style of design, definatelty form over function as the content was usually an afterthought and technically unreadable, thats all faded out and we've seen various grunge and vector styles. At the moment i would suggest that usability is the KEY factor in pretty much all mainstream web, as a result design has become user friendly, clean, neat, readable and presentable.

My prediction is a complete flip on that - Going more grunge (not splatters) but textures and contrast while remaining w3c valid/css etc. standards will not look back but design will always rotate.

Don't forget about the sketchy "hand-drawn" website look... which often are a bunch of brushes thrown together :cry:

Totally agree with Fred, i have noticed a few hosting companies around the internet that have gone in the same directions.

Pixel Pusha said:
just stay out of the box..... thats the best way
Interesting you say that, my new site design is very out of the box, might have to post it up when it's online :p

Back